• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA Convention or Iola show

boomer

As all you members know, that are on this site (& the others too) our convention will take place in August. There was a time that after attending the main event, some would manage to show up at the military show in Iola, Wi. Even when the convention took place on the same week/end, a few hours apart, one year. The show in Iola had to change to the following week, if they were to survive.
So, now that all (or most) of their vehicles are gone, and it's no longer what it used to be. Along with other factors ( going to the big event, spending more than you always do-but it's so much fun, & IT'S THE MVPA!), time, etc.) do you feel it's still worth going to, even if you're close by. If there is one this year?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I will be headed to the mvpa show in Dayton. We have a member here that has offered the use of his pole barn to SS members. I think it would be great to meet some more members. Hope to see you there.

skinnedknuckles

Yes , I feel that Iola is still worth going to. True ,Chet's vehicles are gone ,that leaves it up to the rest of us to keep this show going. I will continue to go to Iola- where else close by every year do we have a MV show and swap meet to go to. If we stop going then the show and swap will fade away. The year when the MVPA convention in Evansville, Ind. and Iola fell on the same weekend I somehow managed to do both ( lots of windshield time though ). This year with them being 2 consecutive weekends I plan on going to both Dayton and Iola because they are relatively close by. We do have in Wisconsin the MVPG fall gathering , the Rockford , Ill. WW2 days at Midway village , LST 325 coming up to Peoria, Ill and a few other smaller MV shows but only the yearly Iola for the Show and Swap.
Boomer is there going to be anything going on down at the Savanna Army Depot?

Paul in Janesville, Wis

DKELONE

I take issue with the way the OP refers to the Iola show as "if they were to survive" & "all or most of their vehicles are gone". While Chet is the founder and a big supporter of the show it has grown to be an excellent, large, & self supporting venue. The local MV club is excellent and members display many vehicles. The swap meet is large, varied, and has something for most everyone. I know of MV collectors that travel from as far away as MD, ND, OK, etc to come to this show. I for one will be there this year and in the future--driving 7 hours to get there. David

boomer

Hi Paul,
Nice to hear from you. Since last year, there are some that feel the way you do, some that are "riding the fence" , and those that still think it's like it once was. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I have received e-mails saying that the show will be going on. It will be interesting to see what will take place. On another note, I have always wondered why they've had "working wheels" , civilian trucks and now tractors, at a military show. They had to know too, that the show was getting smaller.
As with they conventions, they have always counted on members to extend their vaction time, and attend the event, the following weekend. With the exception of Indiana, the time I was reffering to was Minnesota. Case in point, Wisconsin switching from the second week, to the third.
As for the S.A.D. event, that's 50 Shooter. I have heard back from him, but not for that. Maybe it will take place again.
Boomer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks