• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My “new” Automotive Technik Ltd Pinzgauer 718K.

DSD277

My recently aquired ATL Pinzgauer 718K
This is an extremely low mileage (262 miles) UK manufactured 718K, but what is also known as 758 (for the UK manufactured Pinzgauers). There are probably less than 1200 made.

Unlike SDP made TDs, this has a VW 2.5TDI engine ( the 5 cylinder version of the VW 4 cylinder 1.9TDI)
4 speed automatic, also Anti-Lock Brakiing System (ABS), Electronic Braking Distribution (EBD) and Electronic Traction Control (ETC)
And as a FFR ( Fitted For Radio) has a 2nd set of batteries in a battery box in the inside the left rear door and a junction box on the right side.
A small 250w inverter was mounted below the junction box

Attachments

DSD277

It was an unbelieveable score.:mrgreen:
When the word "Pinzgauer" was spoken, I knew exactly what this truck was, with my past ownership of a 716 Pinz, the work on my M1094 and the history I had learned of S&S prior to them purchasing ATL, it could only be an UK manufactured Pinzgauer with all the latest .. and last upgrades to the Pinzgauer line, before their shutdown

Mhael

Wow, great looking vehicle! I have always liked the pictures of Pinzguazer, but have never had the opportunity to see one in person. Do you mind if I ask what you are planning on using the vehicle for? How many seats does it have in it's current configuration?

DSD277

Yesterday was the monthly meeting day for the local MV club. I've have driven all of my different vehicles to the meetings at one time or another (even one of the Supacats), though they've all gotten some type of attention, this Pinzgauer drew by far the most across the board attention than any of them.

I can't be sure why... just being a clean looking 6x6 5 door hardtop? Couldn't have been the diesel, most assumed it was an air cool gas engined Pinz ( even though my 716 was a 2.4TD, and been to the meetings many times). The automatic trans caught many's attention. The faded exterior paint was the only thing that detracted from the truck being "NEW", rather than new to an owner:lol:. It could also be the 'stance' the truck has in person and not protraded in photos ( and I think that is it). This Pinz stands differently than any of my previous Pinzes (this is my 4th)... I think I need a new camera with the "AWE" feature. The FDT seems to have the same problem ;)

This truck seat 5. The truck is for fun and will not be put "at risk"... it is just too rare. At this time, a friend in the UK knows of only 3 UK manufactured Pinzgauers in private hands in the world. Mine in the US, and 2 more on his side of the pond.. there may be a few more, but who knows

dd

urdrvideo

Spectacular...

The 2.5 is probably an Audi variant ( I know its all really the same) but the 5 cyl. engines were used in the Audi's & the T3 & T4 Vans.

DSD277

A little personal history.
This is the 4th Pinz I've had. Started with a 710M in 2001, and got a 712M later the same year ( back then, the 6x6s were difficult to find). In 2002, I added a Haflinger and sold the 710. In Sept '02 I was offered a 716K (TD Pinz 4x4) that I made into a 5dr soft top. Sold the 712 in '03. At the end of 2011, I was contacted to sell the 716. At that point, I thought I was finished with Pinzgauers. I thought about a SOCOM 718, but already knew how expensive Pinz parts were, especially TD parts, and didn't want deal with the hack job done on them.
The FDT was something different and the SOCOM 718 and the MTV War Pig had the same profile... though the War Pig is huge in comparison:lol:
Building a FMTV was something different, and had it's roots from Steyr:smile: . It was through this rebuild and a BAE manager that had helped with some info and liked what I had done with it had informed me of the pending sale of the plant, and liquidation of all the assets. This Pinzgauer was the S&S sales demonstrator for when S & S was the NA sales representative for ATL Pinzgauer.
Needless to say, I already knew the demo would have been an ATL Pinz:clinto:..... with the VW 2.5TDI engine with an automatic trans and all the electronic braking controls. What I didn't learn until I received photos was that it was a 718K ,FFR (fitted For Radio), AND only had 262 miles on the odometer.
Just being an ATL Pinz, I couldn't walk away from it
Back when I got my 716k, a TD Pinz was considered the holy grail of Pinzes in the US, and still are.... This is my "Green Grail" :mrgreen:

My acquisition truly was being in the right place at the right time :D
Cheers

DSD277

I got adventurous last night and undertook the tedious task of removing the doghouse.
I wanted to know what is required to remove it and what the engine looked like :)
I didn't want to have to remove in an emergency and be unprepared for the operation.
Having had 4 completely different Pinzes, this definitely is the most involved one to remove from the truck, even more so than the SDP TDs with a bunch of screws that must be removed, but doesn't transfer the heat the SDP's does
I also got the pleasant surprise of locating my coolant leak. I knew I was losing coolant slowly from the reservoir, but never have any drips from the vehicle.
The engine is the VW 2.5TDI
The coolant leak appears to be a loose clamp. It needs to be access from the front by removing the brush guard, the shroud, radiator and intercooler to get to the hoses. Unless the truck is drastically different than the SDP in manufacture, it should be an easy job.

Attachments

DSD277

You're welcome.
I like to be able to show those less glamor shots that give more than the normal 2/3 profile, but may be of interest to more tech minded or curious members.
And as my research continues, there may be far fewer ATL Pinzgauers with the VW 2.5TDI than I first thought.

And with that said, I had the truck detailed today to see if the color would come back..... so, here are the dreaded 2/3 profile of when I got it, and today.
A warning to the weak stomached. This contains a photo of a Waxed MV !:mrgreen:

Attachments

fesm_ndt

looking nice and green again mate. I still like your dumptruck though, I guess because over here everyone wants me to fix their Pinzgauers........

DSD277

She glowing :D
The same day I took it for a short drive to a restaurant before putting it away, an employee there swore I had it re-sprayed.:mrgreen:
Since she had her "spa day", her color is coming back and is looking more and more like the rich Pinzgauer green seen in many photos of late model 716s and 718s.

I also got the time to pull the brush guard and front shroud to check the coolant residue inside the tunnel. After I got it verified that the guard was held to the bumper with pegs and no other type fasteners, it was a snap to use a hi-lift to lift the flared pegs out of the grommets (definitely wasn't able to budge it by strong arm). Releasing the intercooler and radiator was a breeze and I was extremely happy that both tilted forward enough to inspect and tighten all the hose clamps easily. All I need to do now is baby powder all the hose end and clamps and run it to warm it up and check for any wetness then button it up.

The FDT was a blast to work on. So much room and the large size made it easy to work on, and I rarely had to lay on the ground;)... usually it was just raise the cab and bed and walk along and check things at the frame.

BTW. This coming April, I'm planning to enter the Pinz into a non judged British car show..it ought to be a hoot!:lol:

Attachments

fesm_ndt

BTW. This coming April, I'm planning to enter the Pinz into a non judged British car show..it ought to be a hoot!:lol:
That will throw a cat amongst the pigeons :evil:

An Austrian vehicle built by the British....... If you win an award for best British vehicle you would have to post that on Rudi's forum

DSD277

Unfortunately, it isn't a judged event, but it would be interesting to see how people take to it.
Years ago, I took my LR Vampire to a show and won "Best SUV" :lol:

DSD277

The British car meet has come and gone. It was well received by all, but confused the people who thought they knew Pinzgauers, with the same question of "what is an Austrian ( some even said German and Swiss:rolleyes:) vehicle doing at a British show?! Most accepted my history of SDP and ATL, but a few had to see the data plate with the " Made in UK."_aua_:lol:
I designed the display posters with pdf pages from the Pinzgauer XM brochure

The Pinz ran strong the 66 miles round trip to the show and back(now w/566 miles on the odometer), being the longest it has been on the highway, running from 60mph to over 75 at time.:smile:
IF the day didn't go well enough, as I entered the freeway to go home, I was at the end of a Army convoy of M1078s with armored cabs... a fitting end to the day... to be with the same trucks it had been with for over the last 10 years in Sealy.:mrgreen:

Attachments

DSD277

I had the Pinz out to Fairplex for a militaria swapmeet a few week back. It found this popgun, and I said it couldn't keep it... makes me thinking I need to find an abandoned M119 somewhere. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks