• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1008 is making me go bald!

BobM

Yep, I'm pulling my hair out over this charging problem!:wink:
But I LOVE my MV and am already planning on more! (Don't worry about keeping this from the wife. I think she has the same iseas!) In what little snow/ice we have had, it has worked fantastic. And this 6.2 is the smoothest that I have ever owned. Maybe that is because it is the newest mileage wise that I have ever had.
Now if I could just get a load of round tuits and the money to fulfill them......

BobM

Whats the charging problem?

If I knew, i wouldn't be pulling my hair!:-D

The truck was running fine until I started using the heater. The old heater motor was dragging BAD and I replaced it with a new NAPA one. But the gen 1 light was glowing dim with heat and lights on. After I put the new heater motor in, the light NEVER came on. Yep battery went flat. I found a bad ground wire and when I replaced that the light came back on and it SEEMED to charge. A couple of days later, the dim gen 1 light was back. I cleaned ALL the connections and the light went out. Then a couple of days and the gen 1 light would not come on before starting. I played with the wires and the light came on and glowed dim with heat and lights again.
I decided to pull the alt and have it tested. My cheap multi meter said it has 11 volts when engine off and a little over 12 when running. But I tested two other of my GM trucks and they came up with the same 11 and 12+ volts. So the meter is probably off, since both of these trucks work fine. Anyway, as I started to remove the alt, I found that I had accidently left the small brown wire off that fastens on the stud with the large red wire. I hooked that wire back up and the Gen 1 light stays off again!
I replaced the gen 1 light and even shined up the fuse for the heater! The heater motor works fine and blows great amounts of air.
So I cleaned/wiggled all the wires again and the gen1 light came on and even with the heater and blower motor on does not come on. I finally found that the small wire that clips into the alt at the plastic connector will make the gen 1 light come and go. I now have this connection as shiny as new and am waiting to see if that fixes it.
Whew! Sorry for the long post but this is why I'm going bald one tuft at a time!

BobM

What wire are you talking about? I dont recall one, and the schematic doesnt show it!

THAT was another problem. The wiring diagram isn't like my alt!
I used the diagram, but it wasn't much help.
I read all the threads I could find. And they were SOME help. Like I knew that the heater circuit was the exciter circuit and that the gen 1 lightbulb had to be good..... But when I THINK I MAY have fixed it I have to wait to see. That is the trouble with intermittent electrical problems.

mangus580

The way he described it... he was putting it under the nut with the red wire. Hence my comment.

Its interesting, i studied the schematics today... there is no indication of the gen1 light wire connecting to the heater circuit (has been referenced a few times, and is this way in civvy's)

Whats really odd... is they totally left off one wire for the Gen1 light.

Is your heater fan working properly now? Do all 3 speeds work right? You might check all the connections associated... considering thats when your problem arose.

m4A1

If I understand you correctly the wire would be the exciter wire which supplies the alt with 12v before the alt can create electricity. Without this wire your batts would not be charging properly.

dependable

Electrical problems in my older, bought 3rd hand,1008 work trucks have been hard to chase down. I usually figure it out in the long run, or at least make my own patch to the problem that I understand. A good low amp, self governing trickle charger will get you through until you figure it out. If you are still a 24V, disconect the batteries from each other and charge seperatly. do this 2 or three times a week (if it is a regular driver and you use the lights) and it will motivate you to figure out the problem, and you will still have your driver.

BobM

The way he described it... he was putting it under the nut with the red wire. Hence my comment.

Yep. It is a brown wire that was fastened under the nut with the large red wire.

Its interesting, i studied the schematics today... there is no indication of the gen1 light wire connecting to the heater circuit (has been referenced a few times, and is this way in civvy's)

This was also my problem. I kept looking for the heater circuit.

Whats really odd... is they totally left off one wire for the Gen1 light.

Is your heater fan working properly now? Do all 3 speeds work right? You might check all the connections associated... considering thats when your problem arose.
The heater fan works fine on all three settings.

BobM

The gen 1 light came on before engine start like it is supposed to all night long. The gen 1 light did not even glow with both heat and lights on. The headlights stayed bright also.
I am not saying that I fixed it, but.....;-)

BobM

Well, let's see if I can get this pic on here.
OK! The wire I left off is the brown wire that is now attached on the post with the red wire. The wire that I could wiggle and make the gen 1 light come on/off is the other brown (smaller) wire that is coming out of the left side of the plastic connector.
I drove the truck to work, only about 8 miles and back last night. And I shut it down and started it a few times. The gen 1 light came on before engine start and the gen 1 light stayed off even with heat and full blower fan. I had to finally slow the fan speed, 'cause the heat was about to run us out of the cab!;-)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks