• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1954 M37 Recovery

Just thought I'd post up some pics of my latest recovery. I have been looking for one of these for a few years now, and it's been hit-and-miss. I looked at a lot of really rusted trucks, before I found this one. (I can't believe how easily the cowl area on these trucks deteriorates!) Anyhow, my friend and I left at 0800 from my location, renting the UHAUL trailer you see, and travelled roughly 175 miles to pick this truck up. Yes, they DO fit on one of those trailers, just like an M715 does. I don't know how they compare weight-wise, but we did just fine. We left on Friday the 13th, of all days... Yeah, :twisted: !! I had inspected the 37 prior to purchase, so I knew exactly what I was in for. It is really a very solid truck. It is missing some parts, but I would rather deal with solid and go from there. We were fortunate to have loadout assistance, which greatly simplified things. Returning home, we didn't run into a single snag. Murphy must have been on vacation! All I have to do is collect a few parts, and get this thing running! I can't wait. The truck will be losing that ridiculous 'bumper', and be gaining a soft top. Paint is still undecided.

I'd just like to send out a 'Thank You" to my driver and owner of the towing truck, Al, and my girlfriend Leann who was actually helping me work on this truck this afternoon.

Oh, yeah.. and thanks to everyone in advance who will be answering my questions on this board!!

M-37Bruce

Nice 54

Congrats, nice catch!
I had to look several times, what is the purpose of the stuff on the front bumper?

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

That was a very common use in France for surplus Dodges from WWI. Either with a home made lifting boom or a cut down bomb set of a GMC. GMC were also use as "remorque tout tonnage", means for all weights. They could pull even 40 tons in low gear.
Wolf

ton10291

Nice truck!

I got my M37 last October and it's been nothing but fun. I found it through craigslist and was lucky as it was only about 30 miles away and delivery was included in the deal.

Can I ask how you found yours?

Paint is still undecided.
I'd be tempted to leave the paint job but then I'm partial to red (and fire trucks).

Yes, it was a GSA truck. The red you see is actually an orange-red. I was actually thinking a repaint in a lime color... We'll see though. Orange-red and white is OK for now. Mechanical is priority to body, at the moment. As I said, it was worth waiting for. I have watched worse trucks sell for more money. Looking for a carb at the moment. Thanks for all the kind words!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks