• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1985 M1009 project

MT4222

Hi everyone, recently i bought a M1009. This blazer is very solid, no major rust, solid floors and rockers. It has approximately 66,500 on the odometer. I plan on restoring this to make it look like new. I am going to use this as my daily driver once i get my license this summer. To answer your question i am 16. I have been working on trucks, tractors, all kinds of small engines, and atv's for as long as i can remember. Also I know it takes responsibility to own a MV, and I plan on adding many more to the collection eventually! I am very mechanically inclined and know what i am doing, but i am always willing to learn more. On the M1009 i have replaced the glow plug relay, starter relay, headlights, and changed all fluids. I have added a CB radio and 12 volt plugs by installing a second

Things I am going to do, for now
-repaint with real carc paint
-install a 10,000lb winch
-33 inch super swampers
-small suspension lift kit
-KC off road lights in push bar
-build/customize a class 3 hitch
-replace all weatherstripping
-no cut fender flares
-regular radio install
-dome light
-rhino line the whole interior
-have the underside coated
-20mm ammo can consul with cupholders

I am open to any suggestions on other things that i should do or do differntlly. And let me know what you guys have to your CUCV's that you find useful/necessary. Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness.

Great looking truck and a BIG Thank You for telling us the back story.

Looks like you have a very firm grasp on what is needed.

Make sure you do the Doghead Relay upgrade, as it will save alot of head ache down the road.

epartsman

Before you replace the guage (unless you have already tested it) drop the tank and check the connectors to the sender and your ground. You may find it is as simple as that. Download the TM's on this site and enjoy your new ride! Welcome.

GPrez

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place. You might consider the resistor bank bypass at some point, glow plug module, and AC60 glow plugs. Have fun

MT4222

Thank you everyone. Today i ran into another small problem. The connector for the lightbulb on the voltage gauge is broken. Where could i find a replacement?

MT4222

I find it funny I was working on the electrical system and found that the glow plug controll card was missing.. Go figure..

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OW MY NECK!

Nice save, I'll be watching this one because I eventually want to get a M1009 and the mods you have planned are pretty much what I want to do.

MT4222

Hey guys, My fuel gauge is stuck at 1/2 tank and will not move. I have checked all of the connections on my dash. Where is the ground wire that I should check? Do I need to drop the tank to check the ground? Or what else could be the problem? Thank You

MT4222

Please Help....... I can't get my glow plug system working properly. they work but i have to jump the relay. When i turn my key to run the gen 1 gen 2 and 4 wheel drive lights turn on. the wait light doesn't turn on. i have installed a new glow plug relay, glow plug controller card, new WAIT light bulbs. if you have any idea what the problem might be let me know please. thank you.:sad:

epartsman

Down load the TM's and follow the diag procedure. One thing to check that gets overlooked is the temp sensor which does control whether or not the system actuates and the duration the plugs stay energized or cycled. Is it the OEM relay?

Nice find Welcome to The Site Private Mt4222 Your in Good Company With these boys and Girls DOnt take it Personally if some of them make smart remarks to easy questions thats how they are as a former and still somewhat newbie i own 2 m1008s READ AND PRINT OUT THE TMS For the cucv they are free And The SEARCH FUNCTIONS are your friend Get to know them well if and when u dont get or cant find an answer these guys and girls will try thier best to answer it for ya Patience is also your friend GOOD LUCK with your M1009 what an awesome daily driver and congrads on getting a real Suv :]

Ps names john aka Southernsteel Jacksonville NC home of Camplejeune marine corps base down here in Eastern NC :grd:

MT4222

So far I have stripped it down and I am sandblasting and painting a lot of parts. I have done a lot of bodywork from where the GL forklifts hit it. Pics will be posted tomorrow .

MT4222

Idecided to tear down the front end so i can clean things up. I removed the front axle so i could repaint it. next is the rear axle. I am also painting the bumper mounts and the frame with por15. I have done alot of welding to close all the holes in the floor and on the sides. i have pulled the dents on the front driverside panel. I removed the bondo from the rear right panel so that i can cut out the panel GL damaged and weld in a new panel. i am going to install a 4 inch rough country lift. I have a whole set of new seals so once i paint it all the rubber will be replaced.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks