• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1st M818

HVYMTL

I'm addicted allready!! I wish it was in my driveway. Just out of curiosity, when you made your appointment for pickup at Ft.Drum did you have to get in and out quickly, or would they allow you some time to say...work on it? Mine doesn't start, if I can't get it running reasonably quick, (a day or so) I'll need to arrange for a shipper.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As nice as your truck is, I would bring a couple of hot 6TL batteries and chances are she will fire right up. Not too many GL locations are attempting to jump trucks with dead batteries in order to provide buyers with a better idea of the roadworthiness of the trucks. Most sites will not allow you to spend more than a short time with the truck, they are worried about people cannibalizing other buyer's trucks, it does happen a lot.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most of the time "does not start" translates to "I left the batttery switch on and now I cant charge the batteries".

Take some slave cables or two hot batteries and a set of HEAVY DUTY (made of welding cable not Wally World specials). Make sure you wire the batteries for 24 volts for jump start.

In most cases the truck will fire right up.

A heavy chain is handy for a pull start. Third gear, high range is the best settings to pull start.....if that Cummins has fuel and air (make sure shut off switches are open) it will crank.

I would also bring at least 5 gallons of fuel in case the tanks are empty. That will get you off post to a fuel stop. Note.....if you have a military ID you can fuel at the post gas station.....usually a little cheaper than outside.

There are lists of items to bring to a recovery posted on here somewhere.

Good luck.

Andy1234

In the past 3 weeks, I've driven (4) M818's home. (3) started on the lot and (1) needed a jump. I picked them up from the lot in Jefferson City, MO.

The GL rep, Mike Snell, was FANTASTIC to deal with, he was very helpful.

Unfortunately, I was not able to show up until 2:30 in the afternoon, right when they are getting ready to shut down for the day.

He was more then willing to wait a little while while I fired them up. I had time to do a quick walk around inspection and check the fluids. I was able to take them for a spin around the lot to test the brakes and determine whether I wanted to drive them 140+ miles, or not.

The point of this is, after all that I was able to pull them outside the gates and give the trucks a thorough inspection. I double checked everything, and really, the trucks needed nothing. I drained the air tank and that was it. I adjusted the mirrors (bring a 7/16" wrench) and took off.

If nothing else, can you use another truck on the lot to push/pull start it? For the truck that needed a jump, I just drove it home and didn't shut it off until I arrived at the end destination. During the drive the batteries accumulated enough charge and it starts right up, now.

Mike had a pair of slave cables to jump the truck, you may want to call the GL rep at the lot and see if they have a pair of cables that you can use. If not, then bring new batteries, as mentioned above.

Andy

LanceRobson

Bring two or four fresh batteries and, just in case, bring the short cables you would need to connect the batteries in series. Bring some battery clamps, they aren't always there, either.

Always keep in mind that you bought the truck "as is, where is" and that ANY time to prep it is a courtesy. How much time you will get to spend will be directly related to how busy Kevin is and whether he's got time to stand and watch you fiddle with things. Hope for a quiet day but be prepared to act quickly. You can expect to get enough time to do a quick fluid check, a brake check and move the truck. Any extra time is "gravy".

Plan on picking the truck up early in the 14 day window. That way if you need to leave it to make a "Plan B", you won't be at risk of default and you won't be putting the GL guy in a tight spot with his GL bosses who have been hammering the local GL folks on pick-up deadlines.

The more organized, professional acting and prepared you are, the more likely Kevin is to cut you some slack.

He sometimes travels to remote sites and other GL yards and has vacation time to use so call him early, even if you think you won't pick the truck up for a week or so.

Lance

HVYMTL

Thanks for the good advice. Since this is my first recovery, I'm putting some tools & batteries together. Hadn't thought about pull starting with a heavy chain and another truck.
Now, the chain is included into my tool set. Thanks,
Craig

HVYMTL

Thanks for the insight about the site (Ft Drum) and Kevin. I was hoping they might be more
lenient on "working on the truck". I'll give it a try, if that doesn't pan out, I'll have to contact a shipper. I have been searching the site (and it's GREAT!) for members or suggested shippers with reputable references. Thanks,
Craig

HVYMTL

Plan on picking the truck up early in the 14 day window. That way if you need to leave it to make a "Plan B", you won't be at risk of default and you won't be putting the GL guy in a tight spot with his GL bosses who have been hammering the local GL folks on pick-up deadlines.

May I interpret the above to mean...they will be glad for my communication and a scheduled pickup date, even if it's the last day. Should something go wrong...and I have to switch to "Plan B" it sounds like an extension (of time) is possible. Would this only be an additional 24hrs. or so? Hope I don't have to go there. Thanks,
Craig

HVYMTL

"Most sites will not allow you to spend more than a short time with the truck, they are worried about people cannibalizing other buyer's trucks, it does happen a lot."

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated and understood. Hadn't thought of Cannalbalism. Since this is my first MV, I don't really know what to expect. Hopefully it will start with Fresh Batteries. Thanks,
Craig

HVYMTL

"Just know my truck came out of there and it runs strong".
Hopefully this is an indication that they (Ft. Drum) PMCS their trucks, and it will start with fresh batteries. Thanks,
Craig

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Planning a pickup on the last day with plan B being begging for an extension is a very poor plan. Plan for a pickup on the first day and then have 2 more weeks for contingency. It will take you a couple of days to line up transportation if you can't get the 818 to fire off. As mentioned, the GL guys are under the gun to have the stuff gone, and remember GL's customer is DRMO, not you.

HVYMTL

I agree with you, I wouldn't wait till the last day. It was just a scenario. I had never heard of GL even offering an extension (within the SS forumns) or if it were possible. I have allready contacted a couple of shippers, waiting for some quotes. Thanks,
Craig

LanceRobson

Forget the chain!

No GL rep in their right mind is going to let you use a GL/DRMO vehicle in the for anything other than, maybe, a slave start and they'll be driving it.

Now repeat after me; There is no SAFE way to to tow start a truck with a chain. I say again, there is no SAFE way to tow start a truck with a chain.

If you are not experienced enough to get the truck running you have no business using a chain. If you are experinced enough to get it running, you don't need the chain.

Read any GI TM and you'll see the big bold letters stating that the only safe way to tow start a truck is with a tow bar. Do not take advice from folks who think a chain is "Good to hook!" There is nothing in this hobby worth getting hurt or killed for.

Chains should only be used, as a primary inter-vehicle connection, to move a vehicle out of the line of enemy fire or to move it to a place level enough to hook up a towbar. Nodody will be shooting at you and the parking lot is level. If you want to borrow a tow bar, I'll lend you one.

As stated, call ASAP, make your appointment for as soon as you are can be ready to go. Bank the back end of the 14 day removal period for unforseen contingencies.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks