• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1st M923

68hunter

The wife & I are looking at possibly purchasing our first M923. We are looking at it to do some logging with. I was wondering if you have any tips/reviews what to look for issues etc. Also any other ideas/modifications we could do to it to use it for making money instead of just an awesome toy! I appologize if this question has been covered in another thread I did my best to search it out before posting! Thanks in advance! [thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

If you are going to use it for logging my advice is to get an M928A2 due to the 20 foot bed, double frame and winch.

If you take the bed off and put standards on it you could haul 25 foot logs pretty easy.

The 8.3 can be turned up and with the super single tires you can maintain 60 MPH on level ground.

61sleepercab

My friend ran M35a2 trucks as log trucks and ran one so long off road he wore a hole in the axle pumpkin and lost the axle oil. He said military stuff was tough trucks but you are not going to win any speed contests. I agree that the longer wheelbase truck would allow longer logs. The single frame M900 series trucks are pretty flexible and I have seen video of truck with box flexing 18" side to side at the top from the cab edge when in a twisted road. The double frame longer truck would be sturdy. Mark

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They still twist fairly easily even with the double frame. I know I was surprised how much mine twists with even a small amount of axle articulation. The double frame helps more with lengthwise loads. But I think frame twist is your friend while off-roading.

68hunter

Thank you for your input! I was also wondering about the reliability of the nhc250 cummins non turbo engine, are there any weak points, things I should look out for when purchasing, and how they are for longer drives.