• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My $40K wrecker (M936A1) refurbished at Memphis Equipment

Norinco666

Got it back cant get the boom to operate maybe someone here can help watched wes simpsons video on YouTube read the data plates dont know wtf iam doing wrong start it up let it idle transfer case and trans in neutral parking brake on push pto lever left of seat forward as far itll go place shifter in 1-5 set throttle over 1600 rpm climb on back and nothing idk what to do

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got it back cant get the boom to operate maybe someone here can help watched wes simpsons video on YouTube read the data plates dont know wtf iam doing wrong start it up let it idle transfer case and trans in neutral parking brake on push pto lever left of seat forward as far itll go place shifter in 1-5 set throttle over 1600 rpm climb on back and nothing idk what to do
Go under the transfer case and watch the pto shift arm move when someone moves the seat lever sometimes they are out of adjustment or need a love tap.

Lever should go backwards on a 936 I believe to the cab rear to engage

62s and 816s are forward

It should idle to 1600 if its got the auto governor otherwise you have to set the idle up with the hand throttle

Boom won't work at idle on a 936

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine might be slightly different than yours, but the gear selector moves into to neutral. The transfer case lever by your right leg has to be moved into neutral. That keeps the truck from moving. The lever beside your left hip at the back end of the cab should engage the PTO. (Mine pulls up). That should all be done at idle. Don't yank on the PTO lever. If it doesn't move, at idle one hand on the gear selector and one on the PTO lever - pull up and ease the gear selector into gear.

You should immediately hear whirring of the hydraulic pump.

Don't run it at idle more than just a very few minutes. Once you are sure something is happening, up your idle to 1000 rpm or so to avoid burning up your transmission. It is HEAT related, so it won't burn up in seconds... Just don't run it at idle for very long.

charlesmann

As Mullaney said, xfr case in N, xmsn in N, attempt to take the pto lever and push it to the back of the cab. If it doesnt go, place xmsn in 1-5, at the same time of applying pressure on the pto lever. It should engage, verify its engaged by sound, the eng will bog down very briefly, then pick back up, look between the cab and wrecker bed, the top drive shaft should be turning. If so, idle up to 1000-1500 and you should be good to go.
If none of that works, then as wes said, linkage may need to be adjusted.

On mine, iv noticed if there is very little air (less than 30psi) the hydraulics wont operate the crane.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you are a lot closer to being whole now. Is everything fixed to your satisfaction?

Norinco666

Did some lifting the boom today its about 100 degrees here in Alabama after running the boom for about 40 to 50 minutes we finished up i went to move the truck noticed the temp went to like 210 220 amd the warm engine buzzer started going anyone have this issue?

charlesmann

For your eng temp, mine does the same in central texas with 90+ temps. I dont have a warning buzzer, and if i do and its operational, then the gauge is very wrong. Many on here say that the factory gauges and not to be trusted. Mine has been pegged out after 30-40 min of crane ops, and i checked it with a lazer temp gun and at the temp probe, my temp was 200-210, definitely not the 250 the gauge was showing.

Norinco666

Looks like the truck is working its butt off. As expected, Memphis Equipment DID THE RIGHT THING and took care of the warrantee issues. Yay they are good people.
It was just very frustrating that the truck would leave there possession like that in the first place. Before this truck i have ordered many things from them and never been dissapointed

Csm Davis

Okay so hopefully all goes well from here forward. As a side note to completely rebuild a M939 series M931A2 in 2010 was $65,000 and that is a RSMS price where the contract was for hundreds of trucks. The wreckers were around $150k . To anybody who thinks that he was ripped off come on down and I will let you help me work on my wreckers for a week and I believe that you will change your mind. Cleaning, repairs to the obvious, and painting a wrecker could easily cost over $40k . Glad they stepped up and fired your truck they are a good company and probably have lost money on your sale at this point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks