• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 5 Ton Singled Out! Mounting the big 20's!

jd-ford-hd

Here is a pictorial of my 5 ton single tire project. I took my six old and shabby looking wheels to a tire store near here who has a wheel refurbish shop. It is an automated bead blast and powder coat line. They at first quoted $20.00 a wheel but found the CARC so tough that they had to run the wheels six times to get the paint off. Wound up costing me $50.00 a wheel which I still consider a bargain because of the super job they did. The powder coat they do is white, gray or black only, so I chose the black. The tires are 395 85 20's that were purchased from GL. I bid on these Goodyears like they were very good used, but when I got to Lousiana I found every single one in my lot were brand new unused!!* My next post will hopefully show the completed install on the truck.

My wheels looked like this 004.jpg

Back from the refurb shop 001 (2).jpg

Cargo net used to keep wheels off concrete 002 (2).jpg

6 new air valves and orings 003 (2).jpg

Air valve installed 012.jpg

Thread chaser to clean paint from threads 013.jpg

Compress bead lock ring with ratchet strap Big 20's 009.jpg

Two tire irons to spread bead so lock ring can be tapped into tire Big 20's 010.jpg

When lock ring drops in release strap and center in tire Big 20's 011.jpg

Now tire beads and bead lock are ready for lubing Big 20's 001.jpg

To be continued.............................!!!

jd-ford-hd

Continuation.............!!

I am showing the lube that I use but I am sure there are plenty of choices out there that will not damage the tire. I used this on the valve stem gasket, orings and tire. These pics will also show my method for leak checks.

This is my lube choice. 004 (2).jpg
Whatever is used should be safe for the rubber. 005 (2).jpg
Be sure to line up the groove of bead lock with air valve. Big 20's 012.jpg
O-ring is carefully put in place after tire is on then lift bottom half to start the nuts on outer ring. Big 20's 002.jpg
Tighten bolts evenly till ring bottoms on wheel Big 20's 003.jpg
After airing up the tire use a slender funnel......... Big 20's 004.jpg
Tap it in tight in the valve stem hole to seal it. Big 20's 006.jpg
Then pour water soap mixture around wheel till it covers the nuts. Big 20's 007.jpg
Hopefully no bubbles are showing and you can repeat this five more times!!! To be continued...................

Last edited:

jd-ford-hd

where did you get the air valves from... so far looking so good@! :) cant wait to get mine back onto truck.. just not right with stock 11.00 x 20's anymore hehe

I got these from Myers Tire Supply I think they are in Ohio. They had them drop shipped from Dill air products who is the mfg. I believe. I will try to get you the info and part #'s and post back here.

cruzinz28

O-Rings for Rims

Where did you locate the O-Rings that go between the split rims?? Do you know if they are they same as the ones used on M35A3 split rims? I have one wheel that is still leaking down over several days and think the O-Ring is weak.

powerhouseduece

Where did you locate the O-Rings that go between the split rims?? Do you know if they are they same as the ones used on M35A3 split rims? I have one wheel that is still leaking down over several days and think the O-Ring is weak.
Found this place up in Pa. im sure if you order alot of them you could sell them this site. someone always need these for some reason.

jd-ford-hd

My company uses a lot of seals and o-rings rebuilding our hydraulic cylinders so I have an account with a company that is my source. I dont know if your rims take a 3/16 or 1/4 in ring. My wheels use 1/4. I ordered both sizes just in case. I have the six new 3/16 if anyone can use them. I will post a price when I get to the office.

jd-ford-hd

If you have 20" rims, here you go.

O-rings came from Hercules Hydraulics 800-777-5617, Clearwater, FL

If you need 1/4" order: OR-70NBR-19x1/4-C/S(1)

If you need 3/16"order: OR-70NBR-19x3/16-C/S(1)

If you need the valve stems Myers Tire Supply, Homewood AL
205-942-8115

Order: DILVS1072

Last edited:

jd-ford-hd

Trying to update this but I have a lot of problems posting!! After getting the tires on the wheels with no leaks it is time to think about the next time you have to dismount the tires. The threads on the wheel assembly studs will see a lot of mud, moisture, etc. So I used 3/4" heat shrink tubing to protect these from the elements. Will update photos when all are mounted on the truck. The quarter fenders were moved forward to clear the larger tires. The fuel tank support already had holes that lined up perfectly! New holes were drilled in the frame for the fender support.

Attachments

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be worried about holding moisture inside the heat shrink tubing, either from humidity or rain that wicks in. What about a layer of grease before putting on the heat shrink?

M1075

Trying to update this but I have a lot of problems posting!! After getting the tires on the wheels with no leaks it is time to think about the next time you have to dismount the tires. The threads on the wheel assembly studs will see a lot of mud, moisture, etc. So I used 3/4" heat shrink tubing to protect these from the elements. Will update photos when all are mounted on the truck. The quarter fenders were moved forward to clear the larger tires. The fuel tank support already had holes that lined up perfectly! New holes were drilled in the frame for the fender support.

Tires look great, nice touch with moving the fenders! Do you have plans for carrying a spare?