• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 6.2 is running cold?

IRWFO

My 6.2 is running cold? (UPDATE)

About a month ago I installed a mechanical temp gauge near the air pump with the adapter plate. The truck was running at around 170 degrees.

Last week while on my way to a trail ride I looked down and the gauge read zero. (140 is the coldest the gauge will show) I pulled over and checked the coolant level and it was perfect and my heat worked. When I jumped back in the temp was reading about 150 but as soon as I started the truck and moved out the temp went right down. 5 hours of trail riding and no problems with the truck other then showing no temp.

I figured the thermostat was stuck open. It wasn't but I installed a 190 degree in yesterday and a new rad cap anyway. Nothing has changed. It only shows temp when I shut it off and let it sit for 5min or so. As soon as I start it and head down the road the temp drops.

The truck feels like it always had. Heater works great. Tue. I am going to pull the sender for the gauge and test it. Then I will test the temp in the rad. Anything else you guys can think of?

BTW, at the trail ride a new guy Jason (I think) from SS with a 1008 said his truck ran at 130 all the time too. Hopefully he will see this and chime in too.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dabba

If the truck feels fine, id wait until youd test everything before you start worrying, it may be the gauge. Where was this trail ride? im interested. Havnt meet anyone else on the island yet with another cucv

Westech

CPL
I mean the sender/gauge is shot. there is no way a 6.2 is going to run at 130* ish unless the T stat is wide open/missing or the timing is so far off but at that point it would be smoking, no power and sound like a gas engine. I have been around 6.2's for a bunch of year now and never had one run that low for a normal temp. if it is really that low you gots a problem.

IRWFO

Don't be silly and don't believe everything you see in photos. Our trucks are all used and not show queens.

We have a Long Island Military Vehicle meeting tonight in Medford. You are welcome to come down and check it out. PM me for directions if you can make it.

86M10086.2L

With my new radiator if I don't block it off it does the same thing. 130 tops on the highway in the colder weather. Most likely it's just to big for itself. You see alot of larger diesel trucks with grille guards for this very reason. I thought the sme thing as you did when I put the radiator in. But I verfied the readings with a infared temp. gun that I have. The slightly larger capacity is just too much for the truck. I can live with running a grille cover in the winter if it means better cooling in the summer. Check everything out, but I wouldn't worry.

Dabba,
my truck is far from a show truck and I was there. I have dents, scrathes and plenty of rust. When people ask me when I'm gonna paint it I just smile and reply that things are only original once. When my truck needs it, I'll clean it up. Until then, I'll enjoy its natural patina

IRWFO

What's up 86M10086.2L? I'm going to head over to your off-roading spot tomorrow and check it out. I looked at it with Google Satellite and I like what I saw. If all goes as planned a few of us are going to get together head out there in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

IRWFO

OK, I found out what happened with mine. After work today I pulled the sender and put it into a jar of 185 degree water. I checked the gauge and it was 185 degree's. Now what I noticed is that no antifreeze came out of the hole. The sender was a little wet but nothing coming out. I screwed the sender partly in and opened the rad/cap and blead out the air. As soon as just antfreeze came I tightened it up. Sure enough now the gauge works. There must have been an air pocket right near the sender. Weird.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks