• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My A3 recovery

AMX

I had Adam (ferroequinologist) pull my M35a3 off base and check it over. This past weekend we went down and picked it up. Two dead redtops and two rear flats were the only problems. I drove about 250 miles then stopped and suddenly my low air buzzer came on. i was able to drive it home as the low air was only at idle. The next day i found that the steering assist regulator had broken ( I took detailed pics and will add that in another thread). After driving the truck a few times this week I noticed that one rear tire will deflate in a few hours while the other rear tire deflates in a couple days. None of the other tires have a problem, only the ones on the rear axle? Looks like a paint job will make it really nice. It ran a consistent 55mph (per GPS and follow vehicle) with no problem. On smooth roads it would run straight down the road with no steering correction or shimmy. The difference between the drivers seat and passenger seat ride quality is amazing. Anyone with any suggestions on the rear axle CTIS problem please chime in. I have spent this week reading the approx. 75 threads that appear under the search term (CTIS).

Attachments

AMX

Funny thing is,that I could ship it cheaper than I could drive it! Thats why I had my two m105's shipped.

goodguyzy

search CTIS, there are a lot of threads on this. As far as running 55 mph, i wouldn't make that a common practice, at the speed you are pushing to high of RPM

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Glad you made it home also and nice truck man.

The CTIS isnt the issue probably, leave the box turned off. 1st if the tires arent old and been sitting flat for months then the tire itself should be ok. 2nd ,Take the tires apart (what fun!) clean the rim really well, put a new O ring where the wheel bolts together. Then make sure you replace the vale stem grommit while your at it ,o ring on the valve stem then put her all back together and you should be fine.
Alot of people say the CTIS makes them go flat, thats really noth the case in most trucks, its eaither a bad tire thats old and cracked or the O ring between the rim or the valve stem o ring going bad.
Theres a few threads on here that cover taking the tire apart and fixing it. Also in the -20 manual.
On the air assist steering you can turn that off so the air pressure stays up. The valve is right on the fire wall. Theres a picture of that in the manual for the truck.
What RPM's did you run home? It really looks like a nice truck! , Jay

AMX

I run it between 2500 and 2600 rpms according to the tach. It would only pull to 2700 with that throttle stop bolt. It ran fine, no smoke , no unusual noise, no oil useage. My tires are all dated toward the end of 2008, none have any crazing or cracking. Instead of taking my wheels apart, could I not just test them in a water tank instead? I have went through ALL of the 70+ threads searching CTIS, that is why I have waited a week to ask.

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
You got your ansewer as far as I know with what I said about tires and CTIS. Il bet many others will chime in on it. 2500-2600 im guessing your running around 50mph. I dont and wont run mine over 2600 .. maybe 2650. Did you read the speedo or a GPS?

Edit for ur edit lol , yeah you can do that. Id take them apart as a last option. Just a pain. Enjoy lifting 390lbs, I rotated 2 of my tires with manual tools by myself yesterday ha ha.

Last edited:

AMX

You got your ansewer as far as I know with what I said about tires and CTIS. Il bet many others will chime in on it. 2500-2600 im guessing your running around 50mph. I dont and wont run mine over 2600 .. maybe 2650. Did you read the speedo or a GPS?

GPS and chase vehicle. Seemed as though the truck speedometer was on the mark as well.

AMX

You have to remember that just seeing the tach was difficult after 12 hrs. driving. I taped the tach at 2800rpm's because I knew I did not want to go past that limit. The truck does have 14.5 tires. My wife says that I run 50mph much more than i ran 55mph.

ApopkaFL

Banned
I had Adam (ferroequinologist) pull my M35a3 off base and check it over. This past weekend we went down and picked it up. Two dead redtops and two rear flats were the only problems. I drove about 250 miles then stopped and suddenly my low air buzzer came on. i was able to drive it home as the low air was only at idle. The next day i found that the steering assist regulator had broken ( I took detailed pics and will add that in another thread). After driving the truck a few times this week I noticed that one rear tire will deflate in a few hours while the other rear tire deflates in a couple days. None of the other tires have a problem, only the ones on the rear axle? Looks like a paint job will make it really nice. It ran a consistent 55mph (per GPS and follow vehicle) with no problem. On smooth roads it would run straight down the road with no steering correction or shimmy. The difference between the drivers seat and passenger seat ride quality is amazing. Anyone with any suggestions on the rear axle CTIS problem please chime in. I have spent this week reading the approx. 75 threads that appear under the search term (CTIS).

Welcome to A3 Family.....

tomcata3

AMX,
Undo hose on rear tires to ctis valve, then install a shedder valve ( will let you put air directly in the tire, then you will know if the orings are leaking
I can send pics if needed

mktopside

Banned
i run it between 2500 and 2600 rpms according to the tach. It would only pull to 2700 with that throttle stop bolt. It ran fine, no smoke , no unusual noise, no oil useage. my tires are all dated toward the end of 2008, none have any crazing or cracking. Instead of taking my wheels apart, could i not just test them in a water tank instead? I have went through all of the 70+ threads searching ctis, that is why i have waited a week to ask.
luckyyyyy!!!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks