• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My bucket of bolts

army98

Ok I’m not completely new but close to it. I finally am getting the time to sit down and tell all abut my M1031

It is a 1986 1031 with the able body (contact truck)it has a 15 kw 3 phase Gen in the box. The truck showed 13743 miles on it, the gen had 50 hrs.

I won the truck on 10-03-08 it was located in Mechanicsburg PA After over 30 days my EUC was complete and I was able to pick up my truck.

I decided to take a train to an army buddies house in WV and drive the truck back to MO.

Oh did I mention the truck online description was (running condition unknown) and the truck had sat for 18 month or more. I could not afford to go look at the truck before I bought it so I bought it per pic on line and discussion with a person on site.

Anyhow after a 28+- train ride I got to WV on Nov 5th 2008, I was scheduled to pick up the truck at 800 am on the 6th. We took a rollback to get it and brought it to my buddies house and started getting it ready to go.

The first things we noticed was a bent drive shaft and leaking fuel tank(forklift damage) .
I also found out that the last Mechanic to work on it was an total dummy, Installed the (wrong starter) so flex plate was missing a bunch of teeth that made starting it a lot of fun.
I replace the drive shaft and plugged the fuel tank changed oils, filters and did a lube on it before hitting the road.

Due to the starter once I started the truck I did not turn it off till the end of my trip. I drove it 818 mile back to St Louis (Eureka) MO. Longest single convoy I’ve been on since Desert Storm. But I made it with out even getting a flat tire.

Since my trip I have used it almost every day and the odometer reads 18,536 miles it runs great but needs a lot of tlc (leaks paint ect) I’ll do them or fix them this summer.

I’ll post pic when I figure out how to resize them correctly.

acmunro

Should be a good truck. I picked up a 1031 at Mechanicsburg in December. I have not put mine on the road yet, but it started with a jump at the lot. I see my driveshaft is bent also. I couldn't find anything else wrong with it. It has around 11,000 miles. I have used the generator a few times. I'm putting off running it in the PA road salt, It's too nice. Good Luck with it.

dm22630

Cool truck! Glad to hear it went ok for you.

I was thinking about using trains to travel to pickup vehicles also.....would you recommend it? Are the seats comfortable at all?

Thanks!

ralbelt

I had my 1008 picked up with a roll back and it was only 5 miles away,good thing, the flex plate is about to fall out, the transmission cooling lines were disconnected. The GL description also said running condition unknown. If I had to travel any great distance to get it I would had been out of luck.

army98

The train was not too bad..... boring but pleaty of room to move . also had an outlet so was able to setup a dvd player for the trip.

muddog

Nice looking truck, I also bought my 1031 sight unseen but I towed it home on a trailer from Camp Lejune. It was about a 6 hour trip. It needs a little work but I think I got a good deal. Runs but needs turn signal switch.

army98

I just noticed how bad my spelling was sorry ..... My truck body has almost no rust but both doors have dammage ....some from fork lift on pass side.