• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My bucket of bolts

army98

Ok I’m not completely new but close to it. I finally am getting the time to sit down and tell all abut my M1031

It is a 1986 1031 with the able body (contact truck)it has a 15 kw 3 phase Gen in the box. The truck showed 13743 miles on it, the gen had 50 hrs.

I won the truck on 10-03-08 it was located in Mechanicsburg PA After over 30 days my EUC was complete and I was able to pick up my truck.

I decided to take a train to an army buddies house in WV and drive the truck back to MO.

Oh did I mention the truck online description was (running condition unknown) and the truck had sat for 18 month or more. I could not afford to go look at the truck before I bought it so I bought it per pic on line and discussion with a person on site.

Anyhow after a 28+- train ride I got to WV on Nov 5th 2008, I was scheduled to pick up the truck at 800 am on the 6th. We took a rollback to get it and brought it to my buddies house and started getting it ready to go.

The first things we noticed was a bent drive shaft and leaking fuel tank(forklift damage) .
I also found out that the last Mechanic to work on it was an total dummy, Installed the (wrong starter) so flex plate was missing a bunch of teeth that made starting it a lot of fun.
I replace the drive shaft and plugged the fuel tank changed oils, filters and did a lube on it before hitting the road.

Due to the starter once I started the truck I did not turn it off till the end of my trip. I drove it 818 mile back to St Louis (Eureka) MO. Longest single convoy I’ve been on since Desert Storm. But I made it with out even getting a flat tire.

Since my trip I have used it almost every day and the odometer reads 18,536 miles it runs great but needs a lot of tlc (leaks paint ect) I’ll do them or fix them this summer.

I’ll post pic when I figure out how to resize them correctly.

acmunro

Should be a good truck. I picked up a 1031 at Mechanicsburg in December. I have not put mine on the road yet, but it started with a jump at the lot. I see my driveshaft is bent also. I couldn't find anything else wrong with it. It has around 11,000 miles. I have used the generator a few times. I'm putting off running it in the PA road salt, It's too nice. Good Luck with it.

dm22630

Cool truck! Glad to hear it went ok for you.

I was thinking about using trains to travel to pickup vehicles also.....would you recommend it? Are the seats comfortable at all?

Thanks!

ralbelt

I had my 1008 picked up with a roll back and it was only 5 miles away,good thing, the flex plate is about to fall out, the transmission cooling lines were disconnected. The GL description also said running condition unknown. If I had to travel any great distance to get it I would had been out of luck.

army98

The train was not too bad..... boring but pleaty of room to move . also had an outlet so was able to setup a dvd player for the trip.

muddog

Nice looking truck, I also bought my 1031 sight unseen but I towed it home on a trailer from Camp Lejune. It was about a 6 hour trip. It needs a little work but I think I got a good deal. Runs but needs turn signal switch.

army98

I just noticed how bad my spelling was sorry ..... My truck body has almost no rust but both doors have dammage ....some from fork lift on pass side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks