• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My build

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice. Would you care to share any details about your build? It's tasteful, that's for sure!

Murderouswolf

Very nice. Would you care to share any details about your build? It's tasteful, that's for sure!

M1008 axles, ProComp 16.5 x 8.25 w/ 4" back space, Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x 12.50x 16.5 (HMMWV take offs). Superlift 6" spring lift, stainless drop brake lines. Custom CV shaft in rear, 1" spacer for front drive shaft. 4" axle block for the steering & 1 1/2" blocks for the sway bar. Exhaust manifold, intake manifold & turbo are from a 92-94 (mechanically injected) era 6.5TD. I removed the vacuum wastegate and installed a mechanically actuated one from Kennedy Diesel, set for 9-10lbs. I turned up the fuel metering screw 3/8 turn but pump and injectors are stock. Used a K&N 4" cone filter and cut a 4" exhaust elbow to meet my needs. Welded an oil return nipple into the valve cover, had an oil line made up and modified the oil pressure sending elbow to flow more oil. Added a Banks pyrometer, I have oil pressure and temp gauges but they have not made it out of my other dash cluster yet. The oil pressure I mounted in the idiot light space and the temp I put right next to the voltmeter. The exhaust is straight 3" out the side. There are still a lot of little things left to do but it's driveable. Just came back from doing so. Any other questions just ask :)

Murderouswolf

Very cool!! Some of my friends say I need to do the turbo thing as well. I'd just be happy with a 4 speed transmission.....
No you wouldn't.... You need the turbo :) I see you have an 05 GTO. Just sold my 06 back in April. We still have my wife's 05 MBM M6. Are you on LS2GTO.com?

Murderouswolf

Looks good how does the inside look? Good shape?
The inside is about normal. A small amount of rust on the floor and cracks where the rear seat mounts. Passenger's seat is in great shape while the driver's seat needs help. I will be bedlining the inside before I start on it's mods. Pics when I do.

Murderouswolf

Nice looking ride.

I like the turbo setup. Very clean.
Thanks :) On another note, the previous owner had installed power windows and locks. When I bought it they didn't work but that's fixed now. Initially I thought I would just tear them out. No deal, I don't miss swerving all over the road trying to roll down the passenger's window. Electric windows are A+. Also got my spare put on today. I had to make another mounting hook that was longer. 31's vs 37's = much wider than stock hook.

Jerchambers

I like the ride... I live in Craig, CO for the last year just moved from my home town of Ft. Fun (Collins). How's the smell of cow poop these days? Hahah.

jimmy-90

I've thought about doing the 6.5L turbo as well so that I can tow heavier loads and not bog down as much going up hills. How much did the turbo and all the turbo related parts end up costing you?

Murderouswolf

The first time around? About $850 including exhaust. I spent about another $100 this time with the exhaust elbow and different K&N. A couple of 'T' clamps also. It's definitely worth the $ and time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks