• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My CUCV keeps blowing Starter Relay???

erniemigi

after reading all these post i found one thing that wasn't mentioned but i figured i would ask, could the ignition switch be shorting out, i'm not that good with electrical trouble shooting but i figured i throw that out there and see if it could be causing the problem

86 K5 Blaz

If I converted my system back to 12V, would I need the relay? Is the switched 12V enough to power the solenoid? This seems like it could be a stupid question, I only ask because I don't recall most vehicles having a relay for the starter.

lindyp38

after reading all these post i found one thing that wasn't mentioned but i figured i would ask, could the ignition switch be shorting out, i'm not that good with electrical trouble shooting but i figured i throw that out there and see if it could be causing the problem
i think that might be my problem.....what is napa number for switch...?

wired1000

Did you guys do the Doghead Starter Relay Mod? As stated in the CUCV Wiki, the Starter relay is a notorious weak point of the CUCV's, and the Doghead starter relay mod should be taken care of ASAP. It takes about 15 minutes and the relay is pretty cheap. A lot of people on this site have burned out their starters because the relay failed. Save yourself some time and money and do the Doghead Mod!!!

Here's the link: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/60960-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

Sajer

After doing the starter relay fix my CUCV still would not start. So I jumped the Red and Purple wires off the relay and she fired right up. I can only assume it must be the iginition switch. Glad it wasnt the starter as I just replaced that last summer.

HikerMan

Check your fuses in the fuse box and the fusible links near your Glow plug relay. I had the same problem where everything worked in RUN but when I turned the key to START, nothing happened except smoke from under the hood.

Turns our the guy before me, with the old crappy relay, had busted the relay and popped a fuse (very bottom right of fuse box 30 amp fuse), and then bypassed the starter relay circuit with a push button starter, and remove the fuse leaving nothing there. After doing the doghead mod and an ignition switch replacement, I was still running all that current through the fusible links rather than the fusible links and the fuse, so the fusible links melted. Replaced that section of fusible link, popped in a new 30 fuse, and my truck cranked right up after sitting for a month of confusion and being out of town :jumpin:

Good luck, this may not be the issue but at least its another thing to rule out!

black06

Just tried firing my M1008 with fresh batteries after sitting for 8 months and had the same issue. Went through me normal routine of cooking the glowplugs and turning the key. The starter cranked slower than normal for a few revolutions and suddenly started spinning faster. I let off the key and went to restart and nothing happened. Checked all the wiring and came to the conclusion that the starter relay under the dash is weak because the starter engaged the flexplate when I jumped out the harness at the relay plug. This truck has always started for me until today.

pbrstreetgang

I am dealing with this now
My truck is now just clicking at the starter relay under the dash
Replaced solenoid today, still clicking
Batteries show 12 volts
Doghead done 2 months ago
????

ReubenJames

Same issue..twice in the last couple of months. Check your grounds..That seemed to have fix my problems so far. You can use a heavy set of battery jumper cables to ground the starter to verify it this is the problem. Clean your electrical contacts on the starter and buss bar too. Good Luck it can be very frustrating.

MarcusOReallyus

When electrical stuff is doing weird things, check your grounds.

It's not always the problem, but if your grounds create a problem, it's usually a weird problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks