• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My dad's new FMTV...

rmgill

Re: FMTV

Adamlee said:
While I do agree that the modern cab forward approach is wonderful for over-the-road missions,
MODERN?

Cab overs are NOT new. At all. Heck the US even had a COE version of the 4 and 5 ton trucks, both as cargo haulers and as semi tractors.

/mr picky...

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: FMTV

I think we have hashed this over many times on this site. The Army came into the current war forgetting what it learned in Vietnam. We lost many Soldiers in unarmored vehicles and the FMTV was a snipers paradise. The duece could be up armored with steel plate that would stop SAF and it would only slow down a bit. The Five ton trucks in Iraq carry a Frankentruck armor kit that accually has a very good survial rate. To armor the FMTV we had to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on replacement armored cabs that were excellent but decrease the payload of the truck.

I always taught my 88M Soldiers that they would have to harden their trucks since sheet metal and glass do not stop bullets. Stopping an RPG has always depended on a vigilant crew ready to shoot the heck out of anything that looks like an RPG. Warning to moms and dads in other countries do not let you children play with toy RPG's and certainly do not let them handle a real one.

unimoger

I was at the annual Calico Mogfest in 2007 and saw a unique Unimog that was bright red. It looked a lot like a 1300L but it had an even longer wheelbase. I later talked to the owner and found out it was one of two trucks made by Mercedes that was submitted in the trials for a new medium/heavy truck for the U.S. Govt. in the early 90's. WR.

NorCalSpartan

Deuce or the FMTV

I will most likely offend the Deuce lovers, but here goes. When I first joined the Army, CA National Guard- April 95, I fell in love with the M35A2. I had the chance to drive several different ones during my year and a half. Our unit had a standard 35A2 with no frills (can you really say they have ones with frills?), HHC support platoon had one with the arctic cab (hard top, heater, cab and floor insulation), (that one sucked to drive in the summer) and HHC Supply had one with a quiet kit installed. No hearing protection required. (VERY NICE). When I went active in 97, I was stationed at Fort Campbell. We had M923A2's in our support platoon. Those were ratty trucks, power steering was bad, CTIS never worked, and the winches were INOP. We got the first Light Medium Tactical Vehicles (LMTV) M1078 in the summer of 97. The M1078 is a 2 1/2 ton but it is 4x4 not 6x6. Those were really nice. But like all new trucks they all had problems (biggest was the vibration damage to front driveline). Most problems were driver fault. One driver decided to apply the parking brake while going 45 mph. It skidded for 5 ft and then flipped crushing cab and killing the driver. In 2002 I was stationed at Fort Irwin and I got to drive the M35A3. I liked the improvments : Bucket seat for driver with adjustable height shock absorber, cab heater, three point locking seat belt, air assist power steering (no virginia, not real power steering), auto transmission, CTIS on Large tires, and a Real CAT engine with ether start. But the Army once again missed the mark. Cab way too small for the new seat, CTIS was an add on (not the same type as used by the 923 5 ton) and the problem was the brain box not the actual system, and still on the same frame. That engine and trans combo helped me to get up some of the steepest mountains around. When I arrived at Fort Sill in 2007, I was able to return to my beloved M35A2's. We started to receive M1078A1 LMTV's and M1083A2 MTV's (Medium Tactical Vehicle). M1083's are true 6x6 and are 5 tons. I love them. Nice roomy cabs, great heater, CTIS truly works, can see anything, ride over most things, and Soldiers in back can actually stand up and dismount with a cargo cover on. Yes, if you hit a tree with one head on the front end is done for. But for safety you have high back seats for your back and 3 point belts that lock to keep you in place. It has power and driven properly can get out of most places you don't want to be. My biggest drawback of it. Automatic. People need to learn a manual. One last thing. Army wheeled tactical vehicles are not designed to be on the front lines every day. They are ash and trash trucks for every use but head on combat with the enemy. (but in an insurgent war there are no front lines)

shootiniron

The FMTV's are great in a garrison role,running errands,light duty stuff,but as Jay pointed out they dont have what it takes compared to the M35 or 900 series trucks.I know for a fact that when used as a gun truck they definately cannot take the punishment like the afore mentioned rigs can and still get you out.To much aluminum alloy and not enough steel.2cents

James

Army Ed

They are absolute junk in my opinion.I work on these pretty often in the shop and during drill weekend.i HATE these things..lol..tooooo many electrical parts and too much reliability on others .Like tilting the cab,we have had 2 that have issues.blowing fluid EVERYWHERE.have damn manually jack the thing up...lol..its more of a PITA then anything

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That description sounds like a U2450L38 currently belonging to Richard Russell out in San Diego area. Does the picture look familiar? It's a huge Unimog with maybe a 14 ft bed, 24,000 GVW, I think, with single rear wheels. It has a Twin Disc Corp auto-shifted transmission (one of two built as prototypes) and something like 280 hp Mercedes engine. Heck of a truck. I had the honor of driving this truck cross country for a former owner.

Bob

I was at the annual Calico Mogfest in 2007 and saw a unique Unimog that was bright red. It looked a lot like a 1300L but it had an even longer wheelbase. I later talked to the owner and found out it was one of two trucks made by Mercedes that was submitted in the trials for a new medium/heavy truck for the U.S. Govt. in the early 90's. WR.

Attachments

co_rotorhead

...kinda like the Heuy! Upgrade the engine, trans and blades...maybe even add some avionics and you have a perfect bird for light utility use...

CDN-CUCV

Speaking of mutation.....

a lil' deal I'm working on. Hino 6x6 w/ 2.5 Rockwells, 46" XML's on double bead-locks, deuce transfer case, 3.7 turbo diesel, about 100-1 reduction and the list goes on.

Attachments

13F10

Hopefully, your Dad can let you drive the FMTV. Speaking of which, does anyone know how they drive? Do they drive well?
Was assigned one when I was Active Duty in Alaska, did ok on the road, on hard packed surfaces was about the same, Off-Road, was slightly worrisome considering the tendancy to high center over any obstacle higher than 2 meters, given the approach and departure angles.

Other than that.. I truely enjoyed driving it. Although they could use driver side arm rests on the door and seat.

sandcobra164

I'm partial to the deuce mostly because I prefer old reliable go anywhere iron.

However, I can't say too much bad about the FMTV. I don't like all the electronics but they are just following the trends in the industry and trying to stay in line with Commercial Off The Shelf technology which keeps the Military and the EPA on good terms. The worst thing I can say about the FMTV is that it ever made it too existence. The story is, the Army paid Oshkosh to design and build the MTVR which was to be the next Medium Family of Tactical Vehicles in the Army inventory. At the completion of the project, the Army instead went with the FMTV (I wonder how many payoffs there were in that deal) and Oshkosh sold the MTVR to the Marines. The only thing the Marines wanted changed was to remove the air cushion seat on the driver's side but changing the truck to a spring seat and deleting the hardware would have actually cost a few more dollars. The MTVR is AWESOME and as a Licensing Examiner, I get to drive them all the time as part of teaching classes.

4trans

The only problem of heard about deuces were reliability in day to day over the road truck driving they required constant maint. due to distance driven. But i think a 6x6 HEMMT would be a good replacement or Oshkosh's 4x4 Lightweight, MTVR. or MTT

Ord22

i like the FMTV's. they are a smooth riding truck. like night and day with the deuces. i've put them through a good test, i rather have a deuce any day!!!

DUECE-COUPE

Most of the Supply NCO'S i deal with like the up armored LMTV's. They would rather drive the Up Armored A/C'ed LMTV then the hummer in the Motor Pool. they all seam to like them, and after all, they are the ones they are built for.

Army Ed

There not a combat vehicle by any means,everything is electronic,nothing can maunally be over riden in emergency situations.So to take it and field it in a war zone is rediculous.We have a few in my unit but my shop supports a ton and believe me im ALWAYS inspecting them.battery distribution box issues(2K to fix) light issues,engine issues(runs eraticaly when put in gear) our diagnostic equipemtn for it is just as much a joke.

Ya for someone cruising around it might be great but for a tactical vehicle its horrible

Duece all the way

Flat Black

well, apparently someone is taking a bath, because this one:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1995 Stewart & Stevenson M1078 LMTV Cargo Truck, 4x4, 2 1/2 ton capacity, with locking inter-axle differential. Powered by a Caterpiller 3116 6-cylinder diesel engine driving through an automatic transmission. serial number AT2214DAGD, 1584 miles.

just sold on GL for $28,444.
[/FONT]

marine0311

i dont know if you guys are majority army here. But when im a Motor T operator in the Marine Corps. We have 7 tons and even though they have just about as much electronic features as the fmtv i would definitly trust it anywhere over the FMTV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks