• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My day at the Veterans Museum in Oshkosh

cx65083

A few months ago, I drove to GA. to get some 16x21's (off a MK48 ) I was planning swapping them out for my lil duallys soon so I listed them on FB as I dont have a paid membership here yet. The veterans museum in Oshkosh offered to trade 6 16x20's for my 12 11x20's on rims and 3 brand new spares. The PLAN was to drive out, remove my 11x20's and put on my 16x21's. After a problem with flat tires and not having a proper filler (the air valve on the MK48 tires are easily twice the size of normal!) I reloaded my tires and bolted up the 16x20's off the museums 1955 M54A2C. (They are restoring back to spec.
My day started at 10:25am when I pulled out of the driveway and made the 2hour drive uneventfully. After a brief look around and set up, we got to work. WOW. What I didn't know about duallys and super singles was surprising. A Learning experience. six and a half hours later...ugh.... mine were off and mounted on the museums truck and the supers were mounted on mine. a bit of clean up and pics and rolled out of there for home. Thanks to Dave and Larry at the museum for the help!
A 2.5 hour drive home (half hour for lunch/dinner and a stop for IB profen!) I can finally USE first gear in traffic. In fact, 1-3 rd runs real nice in town traffic. I now fully KNOW and UNDERSTAND the complaints of the 3-4 hump...ugh. I never understood it before with my skinny lil duallys. I also have to watch my speed now. Before I just mashed down on the throttle until in 5th and pulled the throttle lock. She'd run at 53-55 so I had lots of sightseeing time while on long drives. Now she'll do 65...when she finally gets up there! So it takes a bit more care. And my throttle lock doesnt seem to have the "right spot" to hold at 55. one notch is about 50-52 and the next is 61.
I took a "shortcut" on the way home and hit a deep sandy water hole that has almost swamped me several times with the duallys. I always had to hit it at speed to make it through. Now I can come to a complete stop in the middle and walk her right out. Love it!

HELP... I've lifted my truck, now I can't get up in it! LOL

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks