• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My delima

Gravel

So I drove the 67 Deuce from where I bought it, to my place. This whopping 40 yard trip was the easy part. The hard part is that while talking with my neighbor about my plans for the thing, he apparently had a change of heart and is now offering me the better bodied of the two Deuces he has "with all you are talking about and all the money you are talking about spending, you should take the best of the two and build yours".

So this is what it comes down to. The one I drug home is a 67 WO/W with an 86 LDT465 1C White and Sprag. The body and bed are rough but not near as bad as I have seen here. Some rust patching will be needed in the cab and bed. It is a runner though and I really would rather have a properly working sprag, though I do not yet know if this one is properly working.

The other one is an 83 WO/W Dropside (no dropside though) airshift. The body (except hood) and bed are in beautiful condition. It is missing parts (some parts pulled at the depot before sale) but nothing that I cannot come up with from his place anyways. It does not run, not sure why yet but will not fire.

I can have both engines since he is putting a Cat in, so its not a matter of making the 83 run. Both have comparable miles and hrs (67 8k 400hrs, 83 7k 300hrs) but I think I really want a properly working Sprag over the air shift.

Which one SHOULD I make the best out of?

67 on top, 83 on bottom.

Attachments

Gravel

but but but....

I can have the rust free parts and put on the chassis with the good motor and the sprag. Is their any benefit to having the 83 over the 67 aside from personal choice of sprag or airshift?

Gravel

FreightTrain said:
That is easy.Take the 67 install the body from the 83 one on it.....Antique/vintage Vehicle tags.
Good point, though I wanna tow with it and from what I understand (here in Washington anyhow) you cannot haul/tow with collector tags. (I gotta research that one a little more I think)

FreightTrain

Banned
well,personally,Sprag is a thumbs down....It only engages after your stuck.....or when you spinning and losing momentum.Air shift,you just flip the switch before the problem area and hammer down.

cleb

Gravel: Your just up the way from me, I'm down on Lopez Island. I would go for the airshift, for the reasons FT mentioned. Sprags are usually worn out, and need repair, and engage when its too late. Not sure if your going offroad much, but its nice to have the option. The advantage to the 67 is the historic tags. I can't remember what I figured out it would cost to register my M35 in Wa as a regular truck, but I want to say it was $150+ per year, opposed to the $100 one time fee for historic plates. BTW, nice avatar.

Michael

I question that I have been thinking about that I don't know the answer to is: Is there any advantage to owning a 1967 vs 1983 from a legal standpoint. i.e. were the later model truck exempted from any EPA, clean air act or safety laws that civilian trucks of the same weight class had to meet?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You also can't use lockout hubs with a sprag......................

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes it is 25 years so your not far off. but i like that air shift. maybe just toss a coin??? can you get both??? just thinking out loud you know

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks