• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My deuce caught on fire

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they might need to be recharged every so often too? I remember seeing maintenance tags on some extinguishers having a Service By date on them. I really need to check mine so I don't get stuck with a dead one!
Yea, back when I worked in the fire service and still in my current job and even on the farm all the fire extinguishers need to be inspected monthly for their charged state and condition, that includes PW cans “pressurized water” and once per year we had all ours at the Fire Dept picked up by the local service techs to service them. If you need yours serviced and don’t know of a local place to take them too just call your nearest fire dept and ask who services theirs.

ToddJK

Haven’t been on in a bit, so I’m a little late to the party. I’m glad you and the family were ok and safe. Also glad the deuce is still intact, could have been much worse. You were prepared and you still have a driving truck to show for it. Now your even more prepared and I’m glad my old truck is in good hands.
Thanks! Honestly, I never carried a fire extinguisher in my old deuce, never seen or realized the need for one. I wondered what would I do if I did have a fire, and I do believe this was after I saw a car on fire on the side of the road last summer. Figured I should get a fire extinguisher just in case and that's one decision, luckily, was a good one, lol. I'm definitely a lot more conservative with this deuce than I was with the last one. I definitely appreciate having my deuce, not just from a fun factor stand point, but also as a prepping and investment factor.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I’m definitely a believer in being prepared for a fire type event, after all the incidents I’ve seen from the years at the fire dept. Most my farm equipment especially the hay baler have extinguishers on them. Some have two for backup in case the fire originates near the area of a extinguisher and you can’t get to it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good and helpful comments. As for taking the fire extinguisher and shaking it upside down: I would see little issue in a Deuce. It gets shaken up pretty good during normal driving. The issue mostly arises in buildings where the extinguisher sits, unmoved, for a year and the agent can settle and clump.

As for inspection: Modern extinguishers have a gauge for quick visual inspection. As long as the needle is in the green the extinguisher is fully functional and has not bled out any pressure.

Nevertheless, most municipalities require regular inspections at least for extinguishers on commercial premises and it cannot be a disadvantage to have one's own extinguishers checked as well;

I would suggest that a professional check once every couple of years is usually sufficient, as long as the gauge shows "green". That is just me, based on my experience.

ToddJK

Got the flame heater deleted. However, I forgot about a 1/4" plug for the return line 🤦
At least I got the thing off and the new plugs in (Thanks to Gypsyman) and I got that T out of the fuel line from the injectors. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some fluids changed and checked, then it should be as good as new, lol.

Attachments

ToddJK

I did clean my air filter, it didn't look that dirty but I blew it out with compressed air and to my surprise, wasn't that dusty. Taped up my solenoid wires where some of the wire was exposed due to burning, but I didn't replace them. I had 18 ga and 10 ga wire, so I'll wait until I get some 16 or 14 to do that. Starter wires where just burned on the outside but the cover was still somewhat flexible and no exposed wire, so I left it alone. Changed oil. Oil was last changed in October of last year. According to my odemeter, that was 3,962 miles ago. Not bad considering it leaks a little oil so I have to add a quart every so often, usually once a month, maybe two depending how often it was driven and I add a quart of Lucas about every 6 months. The oil felt fine, still slick, black as black, no metal was found on the plugs so that's a plus and the oil didn't have anything I could feel when I rubbed it between my fingers. All I've used is the cheapest oil I can find, typically Travelers from TSC or Supertech from Walmart, 15w-40 or 30sae and one gallon of Lucas.
I also plugged the line that went to the flame heater, no one has a 1/4" plug around here. Not napa, O'riellys, Menards, Lowe's, no one! 3/8" yes, not 1/4" 😕. I ended up cutting that line to a support and plugged it with a screw that I cut down and it actually fits the line perfect, added some fuel resistant sealant to the base of the screw and a little on the threads until I can get a plug to put in the IP. I know, that's some jerry rigging but it keeps the air out, and no fuel is able to sleep out.
Removed the crankcase breather tube, added new gasket and cleaned the tappet covers off. Repainted dipstick since it was covered in soot. Of course my new wire for my temperature gauge to the sending unit was burned, the rubber plug even melted but it's still connected and working, so I retaped that, zip tied the wire to the air line and breather hose so it no longer makes contact to the engine. Drained primary fuel canister and only fuel came out, no water, so that's a plus. Checked passenger front wheel, boot looks to be intact, nothing melted from the heat of the brake sticking, no leakage either that I can tell, but I won't be surprised if it develops one soon, especially if that axle seal was compromised in any way by that heat. I'll probably change the fuel filters tomorrow and then it should be all set to go. Hopefully it makes it down to Indiana and back with no issues, but at least I do have a friend coming so I'll have a support vehicle if something does go wrong, but let's hope not!

DaneGer21

Got the flame heater deleted. However, I forgot about a 1/4" plug for the return line 🤦
At least I got the thing off and the new plugs in (Thanks to Gypsyman) and I got that T out of the fuel line from the injectors. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some fluids changed and checked, then it should be as good as new, lol.
Got mine installed this evening, thanks @Gypsyman I already had my flame heater ”unhooked” but hadn’t technically removed it. Now with these plugs I was able to complete the entire “delete”.

Attachments

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the subject of fire extinguishers, it might have already been mentioned, but periodically you should take your extinguisher out, turn it upside down, and shake it really well. The powder inside will settle and clump up. I shake mine monthly on the first. Probably overkill, but it's easy to remember.
During our monthly safety inspections, we take the extinguisher out, turn it upside down and rap the bottom with a rubber mallet & shake. This comes from working on a ship and vibrations settling everything. Something to consider...

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they might need to be recharged every so often too? I remember seeing maintenance tags on some extinguishers having a Service By date on them. I really need to check mine so I don't get stuck with a dead one!
The service by date is usually the annual inspection and we have to get a third party to do this.
As long as the gauge stays in the green, all is good. We do have the extinguishers recharged every 10 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks