• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce is broken and I need help getting it back together

sp00n

I was driving it to pick up a few thousand pounds of rocks when I noticed a "jerk" in the steering wheel that was not because I hit a pot hole. I shrugged it off and suddenly it became violent and I went for the brakes to slow down and get it under control when I realized I had no brakes and the pedal stuck to the floor. This isn't good. I coast and use the parking brake to slow it down enough to make a turn into a shopping center and get it parked safely out of the way. Whew. Alright lets figure out what happened..

Drivers front tire is about 6 inches out from the axle. The lug nuts are tight, the whole tire and brake drum are free of the truck and working their way out. I have no idea how I was able to make 3 90 degree turns with it like this. I'm waiting on a tow truck now to get it back home to take it the rest of the way apart.

Is this similar to a non free floater axle as in when the clip that holds it to the gear on the front axle breaks the whole axle shaft and tire walk out of the axle housing?

sp00n

Hmm. Are there retainer clips on the axle shaft at the gear housing? I am quite certain that when I take the tire off the axle shaft is going to come out with it. I hope it didn't wreck things at the gears.

Where is the cheapest source of axle seals, wheel bearings and seals?

Flyingvan911

I agree. Probably the retaining nuts are off and the whole assembly is sliding off. I bet it stretched and broke the brake hose during one of those turns. Also don't forget the benefits of downshifting to slow down. I'm glad it ended safely for you.

sp00n

I agree. Probably the retaining nuts are off and the whole assembly is sliding off. I bet it stretched and broke the brake hose during one of those turns. Also don't forget the benefits of downshifting to slow down. I'm glad it ended safely for you.

The brake is still attached to the axle and the line seems unharmed. The drum (contact point for the shoes, rotates with the tire) is whats coming off.

ODdave

If you can see the brake shoes, Something let loose in the bearings.

You will probably need bearings, Nuts, lock ring, spindle and posibly a hub to fix this corectly before you are done.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't take this wrong(if your the sensitive type) but it sounds like you need to download and read the tech manuals for your truck to get a better understanding of what keeps it together. Also you need to use them to perform basic maintenance. Have you done a wheel bearing clean inspect and repacking ever? Have you done a full brake adjustment/inspection? These things should be done before ever driving a surplus M35 truck. Either by you or someone you trust.

KsM715

I dont think your axle shaft is coming out with it. Theres no way the u-joint would fit thru the spindle. If the spinde broke off with it, you'd know it because the front end on that side would be sagging down.

sp00n

Ok got it home. As soon as the tow truck had the front tire off the ground it promptly fell off. Good news is the brake itself, brake line and axle shafts are all a-ok. The bearings grenaded and somehow in the process took out whatever locking device the brake drum uses to secure itself.

heres some pics of the wreckage

Attachments

combat32

Ok got it home. As soon as the tow truck had the front tire off the ground it promptly fell off. Good news is the brake itself, brake line and axle shafts are all a-ok. The bearings grenaded and somehow in the process took out whatever locking device the brake drum uses to secure itself.

Dang, them things look pretty dry better check all the rest, of course I guess the heat could have melted the grease out.I have a good set I took out of a junk truck, pm if interested.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He ain't out of the woods yet, dry bearings like that may have spun the race on the spindle("welding it on").

I take it you have done no maintenance or checks of your truck. Time to do all the wheels and brakes.

sp00n

I have no problem buying new bearings for the truck but I need to figure out what held it all together. Whatever that was is destroyed and allowed the tire to come off. Normally (on light trucks like I'm used to working on) theres a large castle nut with a lock pin through the center of the shaft.

Digging through the **** TMs trying to find an exploded view of the wheel bearing assemblies.

sp00n

He ain't out of the woods yet, dry bearings like that may have spun the race on the spindle("welding it on").

I take it you have done no maintenance or checks of your truck. Time to do all the wheels and brakes.

They are going to be cooked on there. The wheel was smoking when I got stopped, all the grease in there is baked on.

Nothing a cutoff wheel and air hammer can't get free.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The outer bearing cage(part with the roller bearings) is what failed and allowed it to slide out over the inner race and retaining nuts.

Chief_919

I have no problem buying new bearings for the truck but I need to figure out what held it all together. Whatever that was is destroyed and allowed the tire to come off. Normally (on light trucks like I'm used to working on) theres a large castle nut with a lock pin through the center of the shaft.

Digging through the **** TMs trying to find an exploded view of the wheel bearing assemblies.
Look in the parts manual- it is the one that ends in P.

Chief_919

This, folks, is why I always say it isn't responsible to operate a truck straight from GL until a full, by the book annual service has been done.

Imagine if this had been on the highway....