• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce is dead :(

BENZTECH

Hi all.last week i was drove to a spot to ride dirtbikes and after hours later i load up the bikes only to have a crank no start issue. I gave it a second and crank again long crank than finally started but didnt run that smoothe on way home. Next morning i come out to start and crank no start again so i put some fuel in and it started and drove rough for a mile than stalled out and i towed it home. This weekend i will start to diag the problem just wondering if i can get some ideas from here before than maby someone has a few pointers or maby a link to another similar post. Obviously i plan on cleaning the tank and fuel system with good fuel to start and replaceing the spin ons. Now heres a description its a 1970 amgeneral that ive been running waste trans and steering fluid buy not waste but new fluids cause i get them alot lol BUT during hurricane sandy i put alot of crappy oil in the tank that someone gave me and had no problems till i ran the tank low and had this problem. Thanks guys for reading i will update as time goes on.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with changing the filters and then making sure you have good fuel flow. While the IP will pull enough fuel you can still make sure the in-tank pump works correctly (open secondary filter bleeder and turn on power). That's where I would start.

goldneagle

Sounds like clogged fuel filters to me. Had that happen on a trip to Hattiesburg to participate in a parade. Changed out the filters and all is ok.

212sparky

I would pull the in tank pump and check the hose is not leaking, that the pick up is clean and the fuse is good. While it is out, drain the tank and inspect the tank for crud. Then replace your filters. Check the copper fule line under the rad support for crush points. After all that pour in some fresh diesel and crank her up. Then report back. Good luck.

Flyingvan911

I had the same thing happen going down to Oklahoma. Changed the primary filter and it was fine. I had changed the secondaries a week earlier and ran out of time to change the primary before the trip. I was able to limp down to the park with intermittent stalling. PMCS reached up and smacked me in the face for not doing all three at once.

BENZTECH

Awesome thats why i love this place. Great motivation and spirit lifting thanks everyone i will deff report back soon as i know more.

BENZTECH

Well my HH piston is getting stuck in the up position time after time after i tap it down and crank. Next step pull off HH I guess and see what is going on. :(

BENZTECH

Anyone have a good parts sources for this area of the truck ? Cant find anything on ebay.maby i will check around the forum too. Ive read 3or4 really informative posts in this area that are great. But in my head im allready leading myself into just replacing the HH if its doable.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, its do-able. It might only be that the button retainer has failed to retain the button. Dig in and find out if thats all it is.

phil2968

But did you change filters and get rid of that crappy fuel? If not it will happen again. Clean ATF and power steering fluid is fine but NEVER dump unfiltered/uncleaned waste oil of any kind into your tank! You now know what happens if you do!

BENZTECH

Yeah cleaned out tank and new filters got diesel its just at my house it sucks to work on it i gotta get it to my work than it will be alot better. That button is real suspect rite now but like we said i just gotta roll up my sleaves and get in there.on a off topic note Other than this issue i have been recently started usin the truck every weekend for transporting dirtbikes to the local spot and its an amazing truck for this i have a melcher 12 foot bike ramp its a pretty awesome setup. I usually have 3-5 bikes with me and space is never an issue. Also a great vantage point for watchin the action and plain ole hanging out. I really want my baby back.since this ive been using a loaner 6x5 flat trailer for the bikes and it does the job but sucks lol .guess im spoiled with the space in the deuce . Thanks guys i will keep ya updated

BENZTECH

Ok so i had time to pull the hh and found the typical button and retainer off and my shim is broken as ive seen online but now i cant find the parts i have checked ebay saturn and eastern and no luck. Any advice on parts source ? Trying to get the hh or a rebuild kit for it cause i cant afford a new pump at this time. Please any info on parts will be great thanks guys.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hydraulic head. The part of the injector pump that supplies fuel to the individual injector lines.

rrrr

TNJ Murray, Boyce Equipment, Eriks Military surplus, White Owl; one of these suppliers might have what you need. Good luck and snap of few pictures of the work done.