• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My deuce was shipped back from Kuwait?

surfdog

Was just working on one of my deuces and came across this label on the drivers door. Looks like this truck saw some sand overseas...

719 tc
back to Fort Dix NJ

I cant quite read the name on the drivers door - I think it is SGT MOREN

I wonder if this truck is a Gulf War 1 veteran...? Maybe CARNAC can shed some light....

I was going to bob it but now I might just have to keep it whole.

Attachments

Boatcarpenter

surfdog,
It is your's so you can do with it as you see fit. BUT, if it were mine, I would try to find out the unit it was with over there, contact them, and see if I could come up with names and pics of the truck in action. Would make for a good Deuce with history and you could make a nice display for shows and parades etc.
Just my 2cents.
BC

Gastrap

That's cool!
The SGM that signed my Deuce out was at its Guard base in '03 & he said all their tan trucks (mine included) were painted in '03 & trucked to California for shipping. They never shipped, and were returned to Iowa in '04 according to him.

Keith_J

Was just working on one of my deuces and came across this label on the drivers door. Looks like this truck saw some sand overseas...

719 tc
back to Fort Dix NJ

I cant quite read the name on the drivers door - I think it is SGT MOREN

I wonder if this truck is a Gulf War 1 veteran...? Maybe CARNAC can shed some light....

I was going to bob it but now I might just have to keep it whole.

Probably SGT MORENO, a common Spanish surname. Looks like that name is bleed-through.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd leave it alone. If you can find the history of "her" then previous 88Mikes that were driving her may want to see her again. I would hate to hear something happened to my deuce after serving, but thats just me. 2cents

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is called a MSL. Military Shipping Label. Every piece of rolling stock gets one so it can be tracked when being shipped.

jwaller

I know what your feeling, several of my M105's I bought came back from OIF and I have mixed feelings about it bc I paid less than what it would cost to ship it from the closet port to the drmo and the gov paid god knows how much to ship it from the sandbox to my closest port.

I hate to say it but for small stuff they should have just sold it for scrap over there and saved us taxpayers thousands.

saddamsnightmare

February 15th, 2010.

Surfdog:

I would suppose your truck is an Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran, due to the shipping weighbill and bar code. I have seen numerous Desert Shield/Desert Storm veteran deuces, and generally the paper weighbills got separated from the trucks, but unit markings and, in some cases, chalk markings for loading orders on fenders or cab doors give the information as to what ship the truck was returned on. Harpers Ferry NHP had a G742 series dump in Woodland 3 color camo that still had the chalk marks on when gotten in 1993, and my deuce annexed in icon has paint (686A applied on rebuild 1989/1990 everywhere except inside cab) and unit connections with DS operations in Kuwai,Saudi Arabia and Western Iraq. I would track down, if possible the using unit, and see what photos or stories their unit members may have of operations in Iraq.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver:

Last edited:

KaiserM109

If you can discern the bumper numbers, try contacting the unit. It is a good likelihood that it is a National Guard truck. Most fed owned trucks don’t come back. Most NG units have a public relations office.

My truck had similar tags and I found out that it had belonged to the Arkansas NG. Here is what I got back from them:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Arlyn -

I suspect the vehicle was from Company B, 39th Support Battalion. It could
have been a telecommunications repair van - part of Company B's mission. It
should have returned from Iraq in the spring of 2005.

Here is a link to the 39th Iraq history
http://www.first-team.us/journals/39th_bde/

Steve
… I hate to say it but for small stuff they should have just sold it for scrap over there and saved us taxpayers thousands.
This is what happens to most Regular Army equipment, but fed’s are required to return NG equipment to CONUS.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

The MSL contains all the numbers he needs to do his homework. You can read the unit and bumper numbers.

KaiserM109,

I would suspect your truck to have been a regular electronics repair shop, As the 28th provided all the signal support for the 39th. And all our equipment was fixed by us, or went off to first cav for repairs.

Thanks for that link to memory lane. I was one of the ones who went in Jan to Kuwait.

croftonaviation

I agree with contacting the unit. I talked to the guard unit my truck came from and they were happy to hear where it was and had lots of info on it. They want pictures once I get her re-painted.

surfdog

Was unloading one of my M101 trailers and found another MSL from Kuwait. Now I have a deuce and trailer to keep together.

I can't imagine why they would ship a 3/4 ton trailer back - there is no way it cost them LESS to ship it than what I paid GL. (but I'm glad they did...)

Attachments