• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my deuce won't start.

DUECE-COUPE

got a deuce with a 465 LDT. turns over just fine, but no fuel is coming out of the injector lines. cracked them to get the bled, but no joy. will fire and run with starting fluid for diesel engines, but after you stop spraying, it stops running. Bled the fuel filters, and they are good, so what next???

Heavysteven

Fuel pump??? I would flip the accesorirs switch and crack the drain on the front frame furl filter to see if get fuel.

Other ideas...change fuel filters, drain tank and replace diesel, replace fuse on tank pump. Only thing after that is injector pump.

I would never use starter fuild on my truck. Heck I never use it on my lawn mover.

m35a2cowner

Everything HeavySteve said and make sure fuel is getting to the injection pump. Also make sure the shut down cable is letting the rod (sorry can't think of name) that shuts the fuel off in the pump return fully into the pump. Anyone hear of using WD40 as starting fluid? Seen it done on a diesel and it seemed to work well.

Oilleaker1

No fuel, no run. In case you didn't know, there is a slow burn 3 amp glass tube fuse under the little cover with two studs and hex nuts on top of the fuel tank. Turn on the Acc. / power switch and see if you hear the in tank fuel pump running. It should be sending fuel up to the primary filter under the alternator. If it is running and not pumping, there are threads here that show the multiple plates at the bottom of the pump that have fallen into the bottom of the fuel tank. You just need to trouble shoot the no fuel problem. Let us know what it was! John

DUECE-COUPE

i have fuel going to the filters, and the pump is working fine. will checkthe engine cut off to see if it is going all the way in.

thanks guys

ARDUECE

are the injector nuts loosened alot so that the individual metal line is loose. i find that you have to loosen the nuts a good bit then move the line around by hand to make sure that the seal is broken at the injector if no fuel then check for hole in line between pump and injectors. if no hole then suspect the pump.

maxspeed250

Just went through this scenerio myself. Remove the injector pump timing plate, and have an observer make sure the shaft is turning when you crank the engine over. Assuming the pump shaft turns with the engine, remove the fuel shut off cover on the side of the pump below the hydraulic head, and cut the safety wire on the fuel control shaft retaining clamp. Remove the clamp
and then unhook the governor rod from the fuel control by carefully removing the small clip. Pull the fuel control shaft out and
make sure you retrieve the small key/pin from the fuel control plate if it didn't come out with the fuel control shaft. You may find a small mirror helpful to do this and the next step. If the pin is in one piece, then carefully using a small screwdriver, verify the
fuel control block moves up and down on the hydraulic head mainshaft freely. At this point you either found something wrong
or you need to remove the hydraulic head to look deeper for the trouble. I used a white automotive paint touch-up tube with a small brush to mark the gear tooth (or groove if in between teeth) that is in line with the fixed pointer just above the gear. This is for reference for when you reassemble, so you don't have to roll the engine over to line up all the timing marks.
Remove injector lines from the top of the hydraulic head and the fuel lines from the front and rear off the head as well. Remove the 4 retaining nuts and clamping spacers and the head will pull straight out. You may find the thrust button and retaining clip laying in the
cavity that the head was just removed from. It is possible that the hydraulic head piston is/was sticky and allowed the thrust button and clip to fall off. This would prevent you from getting sufficient stroke to pump fuel through the injector lines. I however, was not that lucky, the fuel control block seized to the piston shaft, sticking the piston near the full up position, breaking the fuel control key/pin and dropping the thrust button and clip off too. Cure for me was a new hydraulic head, but you may be fortunate enough to just be able to clean everything up, and reassemble in reverse order. Good luck!

Last edited:

DUECE-COUPE

i go it started. it was just all dried out. put some starting fluid in the intake. it was starting fluid made for diesel motors. after a few squirts, and a few failed stars, it fired up and is running good. will be putting on an alternator and belts tomorrow. thank you all for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks