• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Deuce

Peepaw

Got this from a fellow member here on the site just yesterday.
It's a 1969 Kaiser.
Had just a tic of a problem on the way home as a brake decided that it would tighten up and smoke a bit. Me and Deuce Holliday got the brakes fixed with a little help from a really nice guy named Sam. After bleeding off a bit of fluid we drove it on home the remaining 80 or so miles without a hitch.
I got to doing a bit of research on the site last night and came to the conclusion that the brakes on these things have a bit of a habit of doing the exact thing that mine did.

Other than that she purred like a kitten and I just drove it on home without using the brakes again till I was within a few miles of the house.
That will be the first thing that I address as soon as I get insurance and a tag.

And a pic or two and a thanks to Lonesome for selling me the truck, I really do like it and I believe the brake problem won't be anything to fix.

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweet truck :-D

Your brake problem could be as simple as it just being adjusted too tight...once the pads heat and swell it could have been rubbing. Hopefully it's that simple and nothing serious.

Peepaw

Got my insurance and tag yesterday. Gonna see if I can get a tag bracket in the next day or so and maybe see if I can pinpoint the brake problem this weekend.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks good!

:beer:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Peepaw...I picked that deuce up for Lonesome and brought it to our compound. We then drove it and others to their house...don't remember any brake issues...but of course they can develope in minutes.

By the way....IMO you picked a nice truck!!:-D

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Nice truck. I just drilled two holes in the mud flap metal portion. I see your in WR. That's close. I might be picking up down there next week for another SS member.

rlwm211

Nice looking truck.....
I had a similiar problem with my deuce. I found the master was full or rusty crud and the piston was sticking and not releasing the pressure all the way.
Eventually...ALL THE BRAKES WERE DRAGGING!!!!
I had been about 50 miles from home at an event and on the way home, the problem became serious. I remember it was hotter than all get out that day, and I was about 5 miles from home and on the side of the road, hot brake smoke coming out of all the drums and the truck did not want to move. I ended up cracking the line from the master to the airpack. As the fluid seeped out, I oculd hear all of the brakes releasing. The distance was short, and there were no traffic signals or controls so I drove home using the brakes as sparingly as possible.
As a note, when I got my truck it had no brakes. We refilled the master and bled the lines and all worked great for a while. I eventually found a bad wheel cylinder that had been allowing the fluid to seep out.
My best guess is that the dry brake system must have allowed moisture to seep in and allowed the piston bore in the master to rust up while the truck sat in the "dead line" in the motor pool.
I rebuilt the master and all is well now.
I hope everything works out for you...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks