• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Drag Sheet Project

barefootin

Well, I hate to admit it, but I have been a satisfied "Load Handler" user for over 10 years....:cry: [HR][/HR]With my Chevy K2500 semi-retired until rust work is completed to pass state inspection, the Deuce has been doing pick-up duty for almost a year. It's done very well at the task except when it comes to unloading mulch/stone. I tried my old LH 3000 on it and beside the fact the drag sheet was too narrow, it worked. So..., I super-sized the concept. I ordered (2) 50" x 15' Kevlar drag sheets, (2) 1.5" ID pedestal bearings, and (1) 1.5" heavy wall pipe. Some engineering and......... it actually worked. Pictured is one of two loads of brush from a fallen tree I hauled off to our local incinerator this past weekend. The load pictured although not very impressive around 600lbs, was unloaded in about 40 seconds. Seeing as though it took 2 of us almost two hours to load it, my brother and I were relieved to see that it worked! :naner: A couple scoops of mulch is the next test. It is surly not a dump bed (maybe someday I will have one), but it already was worth the time I put into it...

Attachments

barefootin

How about a few closer pics of the mounting setup and where did you get the sheet at. This is a great idea.
The drag sheets I bought off the original load handler web site under spare parts. I found other Kevlar tarps, but I figured I knew these worked and my original held up to years of abuse. I just used 1/8" rivets and washers on both sides to join the two sheets. I did the full overlap at the start and finish and 4 rivets across roughly every 18" in between (The duct tape on the drag sheet was just to hold it together while I worked on it). The brackets are off of my other load handler (I stepped up to 5/8" hardware), but L brackets with a strap would do just fine. For the handle, I used a piece of 1/2" thick bar stock and bolted a piece of 1/2" I.D. by 6" PVC so it would spin. View attachment 434692

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks