• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My DVD player install about to start.

IRWFO

I've had the player since Oct. and I finally figured out how I'm going to install it. Originally I was going to find a non-working Military radio, gut the insides, hinge the face and hide my player in it. Every Mil radio I found either looked trashed or was outrageously priced. I finally found a project box that is going to look great when painted CARC. And it was only $32. This week I'm going to cut the face of the box & mount the radio in it. Then take it all apart give it a light blasting so the paint has something to bite to. I took a 5820-8931324 mount, unbolted the cradle and am using the base with the isolators for this box. I am then going to make a shelf coming off the plate in the middle of the dash. If all goes as planed in my head it should come out real nice. Every MV guy will know it's not military but everyone else that likes the truck won't at first.

Attachments

IRWFO

A guy in my club mounted his speakers in a couple of ammo cans. I thought that was a great idea but not sure if that's what I'm going to do. No matter what I decide. I want it to appear as if it belongs in a military truck to the average person.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a question, I know that installing CD players and hi-end stereo systems in an MV sounds like a great idea, and I bet a lot of us that wished for something to listen to on a long trip had some tunes. My question is: what does good music sound like in a metal square cab like a deuce has; I would think that the echo factor would be pretty significant without carpeting or sound-deadening pads.

ojsdna744

My kids and I run music through our intercom system in my deuce. I couldn't imagine how loud the music would have to be to be heard normally in a deuce @ highway speed!! :roll: But, my CUCV...that could be an option for camping trips and such!! [thumbzup]

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking box, it will look great painted up. The only thing about the deuce intercom, it is not stereo and has a somewhat restricted audio range, will sound more like a good AM radio than a CD. The waterproof speakers inside the LS-type boxes are 8 ohms (a transformer makes them 500 ohms) but will only handle a couple watts max.You might be able to find a better 4" square speaker, but forget alot of watts. Perhaps using them for the treble, and building a tuned ported woofer enclosure under the driver seat? Well please keep us updated as you go, it's very interesting!

IRWFO

Well here is the project so far. It took some real thinking on the internal support for the radio. I still have to drill and install better bolts for the top cover & cut openings in the back for the wiring. Then I'll pop off the trim ring, tape up the radio and give it one more shot of paint. More pic's to follow.

Attachments

Prerunner1982

I think that looks fitting for a MV. With the hightech equipment out there with the radio off, the non MVer may think its GPS...

I mounted a home made center console in my 5ton wrecker and later my duece. The console has 2 cup holders, a radio, and 2 speakers.. I also ran 2 other speakers to the cab corners.. Had to turn it up pretty loud but it was nice to have.