• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My early MK1 Ferret

Edelbroke

Just bought this 1956 Ferret MK1. The front fenders and tool boxes have been removed but all came with it. Engine turns over (via the hand crank). The previous owner aquired alot of parts over the last 18 years that all came with it. Including a NOS starter, smoke dischargers, (2 lefts, I need to find a right side) The outside tool kit pick and shovel, 3 periscopes, Bren mg mounts for the Ferrit, and a demilled Bren machine gun with tons of extras. The first thing i'm going to do is get the B60 Rolls Royce engine running and go from there.

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Great find but, man do you have your work cut out for you . It looks like the rust monster made it his home . I sure you can handle it though this isn't your first rodeo in the green arena ...........

M920

Congratulations....Great find! I have to admit, I like the way it looks without the front fenders....

Keep the pics coming as you go through the restoration!

smashcrashy

Posted in another thread but for your benefit here in case you miss it:

This is a relatively unknown site for AFV spares (Ferret, CVRT, Chieftan, etc) there are several different listing for parts across the top, click on "6700 Stock List" and "Show Full Table" you can find a lot of hard to find Ferret bits.

http://www.makanosurplus.co.uk/

Edelbroke

I did alot of unpacking of boxes today that came with the Ferret. Started looking at the motor. Took down alot of numbers on data tags through out the body and engine.

An interesting item was the generator:
The Leece-Neville Co. Clevland Ohio USA
Military Spec No: MIL-G-46795
Ordnance No: 10929868
60 amp - 28 Volts
Rotation - Reversable
Generator System DC

The distributor is dated 4-54
The Ign coil is dated -54

Tag on engine block reads:
B60 No 1 MK. 6A
Engine No: 10887

Anouther tag next to that tag on the block:
RCEME
Rebuilt Engine
Workshop: 202
Date: 5 JAN 2
Inspected by: 19
Cyl Bore: 010
Mains: STD
Throws: STD

Hull plate (on right side driver shoulder area)
355-B-4-4

I found a broken cable inside near the gear box. Resembles a speedo cable on a normal car. Will be looking for a replacement when I find out where it goes...

Question on the battery cables. (2) are normal top post style, (2) are a push on female style connector.

Missing the bottom of the fuel filter bowl (The glass part)

On a good note, nuts and bolts are turning and not breaking!

Attachments