• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first 5-ton

Corey

Hi, I am new to this site and 5-ton trucks. I just bought one today that has been sitting for two years. The battery is missing but the guy I bought it from says it should start right up and drive away. I have been searching this site for info but still have a couple questions.
Is this an M818?
What is the front winch rated at?
All the pictures I looked at show the air cleaner on the drivers side, why is this one on the passenger side?

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

dk8019

I'll wait for someone else with more info, but I believe this is a M54, or at least of that series, as the air cleaner is on the passenger side.

scooter01922

Not an 818, looks to be an M52 5 ton tractor. Front winch should be rated at 20K lbs. I HIGHLY recommend reading the TM before attempting to do anything regarding starting or moving it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is an M39 series 5 ton. It has the LDS version of the multifuel engine, therefore the air cleaner is on the passenger side, same as a deuce. If this were an M809 series truck, it would have the Cummins NHC-250 and the air cleaner ont he driver's fender.

Corey

Thanks for the replies!

AaronW, the guy said there were a couple other people looking at it. Why didn't you pick it up? It is pretty ugly and my girlfriend didn't want me to buy it.

AaronW

The logistics of moving it was too much for me. In its condition, I thought a low boy trailer was in order. I would have had to move it about 40 miles to get it home.
Also the CDL is still an issue for me.

Did you get the other truck too?

Last edited:

Corey

My friend bought the other truck just for the front axle. We build trail/offroad 4x4s. He is building a small monstertruck type vehicle. The rest of the 2 1/2ton truck is being parted/scrapped. If this 5-ton runs good, it will probably end up as a tow vehicle for my Chevy. I go to mudbog/off road racing type events.

Attachments

Last edited:

Corey

It is a 1941 Chevy, 41" tires. I bought it about 10 years ago for $2000. It was sitting in a field, I stopped and asked the guy if he would sell it and he said yes, only because he just got married and needed money for his honeymoon trip. I cleaned it up, drove it around town, took it to a couple car shows and sold it a couple months later for $2500 to an old guy that said he was going to restore it. I have only seen pictures of two others. I guess they were mobile radio command centers. The thing was pretty neat.

DMgunn

Yeah, they are cool. I've got a couple pics of one with duals all around - course they were probably 7.25-20s, but still look pretty tough.

Thanks for the info.

Corey

The transmission on this truck is broke in half. Will a Spicer 3053A out of a M35A2 fit in a M52? I know the yokes have a different flange pattern. Will the cab off a M35A2 ton fit on this also?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks