• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first CUCV M1009

VDub

I just bought my first 1986 M1009 a couple of days ago. I am not very familiar with this vehicle. Everything seems to be in very good working condition. I am curious on the performance of this type of vehicle. So far it starts up great and the engine works and sounds perfect. The transmission seems to be a bit jumpy when shifting to the next gear. Also, I wanted to make sure that it downshifted when I put my foot to the floor. It seems to take awhile for it to downshift. Does anyone have any advice for me on what to look for? Is this somewhat normal for these types of vehicles?

aboonski

Congrats on your purchase! I don't have an M1009 yet but do have an M1008A1 CUCV. My truck goes very quickly through the gears and I am normally in top gear (3rd) at 25 mph because of the 456 gears. I think most of the shifting is accomplished by vacuum and you might check your vacuum lines for cracking or leaks which could cause hesitation or improper shifting. As you probably already know, the 6.2 diesel has a vacuum pump back where the distributor is on a small block Chevy so start there and check those lines! Where are you located in Florida by the way?

VDub

Thanks for all your help. I will be checking on your suggestions. I actaully just moved from Saint Augustine, Florida to Virginia. I will be moving out to Idaho in a month.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
It's most likely the vaccum shift or the line that supports it. It's a quick 5 minute fix.

It is imperative to download the manuals for your vehicle. They are on the resouces section at the top of the page. Get the -10 (operators level) and the -20 (unit maintenance) and the -34 (general support and depot level). Also get the parts manuals -20P and -34P.

VDub

It's most likely the vaccum shift or the line that supports it. It's a quick 5 minute fix.

It is imperative to download the manuals for your vehicle. They are on the resouces section at the top of the page. Get the -10 (operators level) and the -20 (unit maintenance) and the -34 (general support and depot level). Also get the parts manuals -20P and -34P.

Thanks alot. I spent some time last night reading all the manuals. I do believe that the vacuum modulator needs some adjusting. I will try it out and see what happens.

LanceRobson

Don't touch the vacuum modulator without changing out the rubber vacuum lines first. More than likely, you'll be creating a problem, not fixing one.

Check the fluid level, too.

The lines get porous with age. Finding a leak in a vacuum or suction line is far harder than finding one in a pressurized line. The odds of the vacuum modulator getting out of whack are pretty slim.

If, after installing new lines (about $5,) the shifting is still late or hard, check the vacuum at the pump (8 pounds from memory?) and then work your way downstream. The procedure is in the -20 TM. The TM is available in the "RESOURCES" section.

The lines are so regularly shot that we replace them on every CUCV before driving them out of the GL lot. It's a 10 minute fix.

What part of Florida are you in?

Lance

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all your help. I will be checking on your suggestions. I actaully just moved from Saint Augustine, Florida to Virginia. I will be moving out to Idaho in a month.
Okay, the next question is where in ID? South ID is high mountain desert and north ID is Alpine forests. Both great areas in and of themselves but totally different trail ride country.

VDub

Okay, the next question is where in ID? South ID is high mountain desert and north ID is Alpine forests. Both great areas in and of themselves but totally different trail ride country.

I am going to be living in north Idaho near salmon, ID. I am not very familiar with the terrain out there. Have you or anyone ever been to Salmon, ID and can tell me a little about it? I am going out there as an intern for the Forest Service and will be stationed at an old helicopter base in the Salmon-Challis National Forest. I am very happy to be taking my CUCV with me.

VDub

Don't touch the vacuum modulator without changing out the rubber vacuum lines first. More than likely, you'll be creating a problem, not fixing one.

Check the fluid level, too.

The lines get porous with age. Finding a leak in a vacuum or suction line is far harder than finding one in a pressurized line. The odds of the vacuum modulator getting out of whack are pretty slim.

If, after installing new lines (about $5,) the shifting is still late or hard, check the vacuum at the pump (8 pounds from memory?) and then work your way downstream. The procedure is in the -20 TM. The TM is available in the "RESOURCES" section.

The lines are so regularly shot that we replace them on every CUCV before driving them out of the GL lot. It's a 10 minute fix.

What part of Florida are you in?

Lance
The lines do look a bit old and worn. I know this is probably a stupid question. Is the vacuum hose size 1/4"or 3/16" ? Im guessing the 3/16", but I just want to be sure before I purchase. I actually just moved from Saint Augustine, Florida to Virginia.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to be living in north Idaho near salmon, ID. I am not very familiar with the terrain out there. Have you or anyone ever been to Salmon, ID and can tell me a little about it? I am going out there as an intern for the Forest Service and will be stationed at an old helicopter base in the Salmon-Challis National Forest. I am very happy to be taking my CUCV with me.

Okay, think of the middle of nowhere then Salmon is about 100 miles further out:grin:

You're going to be out in the Frank Church Wilderness area (well, just outside of it) and it's some of the most beautiful country anywhere. Problem is, it stayed that way because no one wanted to drive that far out to get to it. Better put bigger tires on that 1009 because you're going to see more snow than you can probably imagine.

VDub

Okay, think of the middle of nowhere then Salmon is about 100 miles further out:grin:

You're going to be out in the Frank Church Wilderness area (well, just outside of it) and it's some of the most beautiful country anywhere. Problem is, it stayed that way because no one wanted to drive that far out to get to it. Better put bigger tires on that 1009 because you're going to see more snow than you can probably imagine.
Middle of nowhere is right. You are correct about the Frank Church Wilderness. About 4.3 million acres and the largest wilderness area in the continental U.S. This all excites me. I am ready for it. Bigger tires huh? Have any suggestions? Size, type, where to purchase, and how much? I am from Florida... I barely know what snow is.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Preferably something with tracks like a snowmobile. The snows gonna be deep so you either want lots of ground clearance or be able to scoot across the top of it (all of the above is sarcasm).

joeypushjr1

with the way your truck is now stock you should be able to handle 33" with now problem and go for something aggressive. ill swear on bfg's mud terrain or the new km2's but i have pro-comps mud terrain on mine right now and i have no problems with snow and mud ... so again thats my 2cents