• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first CUCV M1028A1

chesapeake

After being on here for about 2 months reading and asking questions, I finally got my first cucv. It is a 1986 M1028A1. I bought it in Ohio on Saturday. There is very little rust and it runs great. The gentleman I bought it from said it came from the Mississippi National Guard. The following are things he did to the truck: New locks and ignition, new brass radiator with new hoses and oil cooler lines, new belts, transfer case output shaft seal, harmonic balancer, crankshaft front seal, water pump, AC gp, new gp controller card, gp relay, new PS pump and steering box. He handed me a file with all the receipts. The bad news, one of the locking hubs is gone, he thinks it has close to 100K miles on it, the 4 wheel drive light doesn't come on. The tires are firestone 265X75X16 with probably 3/4 plus tread left. Here are the tings I am going to do (with help from ya'll lol):

New weather stripping for door windows (6/11/2013 Use marine silicone, forget 3M adhesive)
New Shocks (recommendations?????)
New Hubs Milemarker 449SS (5/31/2013)
CDR Valve (5/30/2013)
New lens covers (5/23/2013)
Starter bracket ( 5/21/2012 )
New wipers ( 5/16/2013 )
New battery cables ( 6/25/2013 )
Doghead relay (done on 5/12/2013 )
GP resister bypass (done on 5/11/2013 )
GP controller bypass/add on ( 5/23/2013)
LMC light harness (done 5/14/2013)
Horn suppressor and diode removal ( 5/15/2013 )
New Air filter (Done 5/11/2013 AES filter)
Get Blackouts working/paint off of them
New tires. Hoping for STA 9.00X16 if they will fit.
Spray in liner
Tool box (weatherguard, just needs refinishing)
12v acc plug for phone charger and gps
Spin on Fuel filter
ODR bolt on steering brace ( Done 5/19/2013)
Headlights ( Silvestar H6054)
Sway bar taken off (7/09/2013 )
Anything else ya'll recommend??????

Please tell me if there is anything I should look at or do. Like I said this is my first one and I know what I have read on here and researched. All comments and opinions welcomed. I hope I can get the pictures up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhh.

looks like the PO did most of the hard stuff. That cost him some coin. It looks great.

I would drive it for awhile and see what it truely needs. All your items can be done slowly except for the starter bracket. It needs to be at the top of the list.

Last edited:

chesapeake

Ahhh.

looks like the PO did most of the hard stuff. That cost him some coin. It looks great.

I would drive it for awhile and see what it truely needs. All your items can be done slowly except for the starter bracket. It needs to be at the top of the list.

I have read on here about the brackets. Any idea where I can find one? Is there a certain one I need?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on which starter it has, the old bigger direct drive or the newer smaller gear reduction. Different brackets. The old style is discontinued and used is your option unless you make your own. The new style is still available at the dealer.

the part numbers should be in the wiki or FAQ

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15551-Starter-bracket-bolt-size

Last edited:

chesapeake

It depends on which starter it has, the old bigger direct drive or the newer smaller gear reduction. Different brackets. The old style is discontinued and used is your option unless you make your own. The new style is still available at the dealer.

the part numbers should be in the wiki or the FAQ
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?15551-Starter-bracket-bolt-size
Thank you. I will have to look tomorrow to see which starter I have. I will definitely move it to the top of the list. Will I have to take to the starter off to install it the bracket or just loosen it and then tighten back up?

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks