• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first CUCV

Spicy

I just got my first MV a couple of months ago. Yes, I had to pink it up, because I'm a girl. What things should know about the CUVU?

DSCN4839.jpg

Spicy

My first MV

Just got my CUVU out of the paint shop. Just had to show it off. Yes I know it is pink camo. But like I was told since I pay for it I could what I wanted to it.
DSCN4839.jpgmy truck before.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's a CUCV unless that CUVU stands for something personal. See how irritable I get when you mess with my chili mac. I hear they go faster if you paint the black part of the camo chartreuse.

DXTAC

I have had mine for 4 years (almost 80,000 miles - it's my daily driver) and haven't done the relay mod so I don't see it as necessary. I would change EVERY and I mean EVERY fluid ASAP and lube the chassis. Irregardless of whether you got it from a private seller or GL.Other than that, if ain't broke, don't fix it. These trucks are amazingly tough and things do happen but rarely. I started a little thread here called "What have you done to your CUCV lately" and you can see on that thread some of the more major things that can happen to them. I would also suggest replacing at least the fuel filter but as many do for under $50 replace the fuel filter with a spin-on filter and base of some sort. Lubing and inspecting the brakes would also be a good idea. The girl down the street from me has a 1009 and she has hers blinged with zebra print seats and other interior goodies. Mine is BARE.

Congrats!!

DXTAC

RedneckMilenko

Another thing you may want to check is if it still has both original axles. I had to put a new trany and tras case in mine due to the previous owner putting a civi rear axle in it and the gear ratios didn't match up. Also th doghead elay mod is a good thing to do as well being as me not doing when I first got my 09 cost me a $130 starter. And if you ever buy anything for the starting system remember you have to buy if for a 24 volt system. A civi starter will fit but burn up soon after install. being as you're in GA the spin on filter wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the truck wont be sitting for extended periods of time, once you do the spin on mod you lose the ability for your truck to tell you there is water in the fuel. When adding or changing you break fluid you can not use DOT3, if it is as it was originally it will have silicone break fluid (DOT5). And if your fuel pump goes out i'd suggest putting in an electric pump. It works just as well and saves your starter from un-needed wear when replacing your fuel filter and you have to prime it. Check your breather tubes on both differentials, if they are bad replace them or your axle will be full of mustard after your 1st run off road. I tell you this because I wish I was told all this when I 1st got mine. Lol! That's about it from me though, I'm no expert but those are just a few of the things I've come across the past year I've had my 09.

Congratulations.
I read your thread in the New members area a wile back and was really hoping you would go with something like this...
1353143686_GameModding2012-11-0911-57-04-69.jpg

But as long as you like it. That's what counts.
Now its time for accessories, right?

Cheers.

rsh4364

do the starter relay mod,as a victim of runaway starter i know,its cheap,easy and save a bunch of headache..theres nothing worse than watching a vehicle you love smoking and burning things up,starter and wireing harness,the guys that never had one fail say its good,but us guys that had the relay fail know better..

Last edited:

RedneckMilenko

As you can see, mine is mud colored. Unfortunatly the previous owner did a rather shotty job of it and so I'm going florecent orange,black, and grey camo for the **** of it, plus I already have a dixie horn in it so there ya go. Lol

Spicy

I have had mine for 4 years (almost 80,000 miles - it's my daily driver) and haven't done the relay mod so I don't see it as necessary. I would change EVERY and I mean EVERY fluid ASAP and lube the chassis. Irregardless of whether you got it from a private seller or GL.Other than that, if ain't broke, don't fix it. These trucks are amazingly tough and things do happen but rarely. I started a little thread here called "What have you done to your CUCV lately" and you can see on that thread some of the more major things that can happen to them. I would also suggest replacing at least the fuel filter but as many do for under $50 replace the fuel filter with a spin-on filter and base of some sort. Lubing and inspecting the brakes would also be a good idea. The girl down the street from me has a 1009 and she has hers blinged with zebra print seats and other interior goodies. Mine is BARE.

Congrats!!

DXTAC
Thank you. I brought it from a fellow SS member. He did alot to it make sure it was ready to go before I got. Mine is bare also. The only thinking I change was the brown to pink. I actually like it. The pink camo was just something to make it different. I'm not really a zebra print girl.

Spicy

Yeah, it's a CUCV unless that CUVU stands for something personal. See how irritable I get when you mess with my chili mac. I hear they go faster if you paint the black part of the camo chartreuse.
Recovery do not hate the paint. You are just mad you did come with the idea first. lol I did not say anything about your chili mac. Only that one night of chili mac is enough for any rally. and I would not even make it at home if someone paid me to. lol

MarcusOReallyus

I have had mine for 4 years (almost 80,000 miles - it's my daily driver) and haven't done the relay mod so I don't see it as necessary.

I read on here somewhere that the later CUCVs had a better relay, and don't have a problem. When in doubt, change it out. It's too easy and cheap to risk it, unless you KNOW for sure you've got the better relay.

What's with the Chili Mac discussion? Is that a new kind of paint remover?

:mrgreen:

Barneyrubble

I have a long,long list of things I have replaced,either because they broke,or as a precaution before they broke,about£2000 in all so far,but it was to be expected,buying an ex overseas service truck.Sourcing a lot of the parts has been a major headache for me in the past,but I now know where to get most things I need,and the rest I have made if possible.But one thing remains the same,you are going to have a lot of fun owning that truck,I have,especially in the snow,there are a lot of land rover owners round here I have P----d off!!. Enjoy.

jw4x4

Recovery do not hate the paint. You are just mad you did come with the idea first. lol I did not say anything about your chili mac. Only that one night of chili mac is enough for any rally. and I would not even make it at home if someone paid me to. lol
If somebody consumed too much chili-mac and suffered from heartburn, indigestion, or upset stomach, they could always lick some of the Pepto-Bismol off the side of that truck. lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks