• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first CUCV

Salty dog

After waiting and searching I have brought home a 1984 M1009, 79,000 original miles. I plan to restore her to her former glory. It is running and driving, a few issues that I have come across so far. When you use the left turn signal it causes all four turn signals to flash. The headlights need to be replaced, this weekend I will tear into the brakes to inspect and replace what is necessary. I need to make sure it will pass a safety inspection before getting tagged. From there I plan to slowly restore and repair what is needed. I could not be happier

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Outstanding!

Welcome aboard! I am hoping that the truck has all its original wiring intact. That will make it easier to diagnose and repair the problems.

For your current problem go to the rear bumper and see what the trailer plug wires look like.

Good Luck and look into the Helpful CUCV thread in the forum headings. CUCV TM's

Greasy

Welcome!

Nice score! I love my 1009. This site is a wealth of knowledge, the search function will be your friend. Just about every repair topic has been covered at one time or another. Post more pictures!

Salty dog

Replaced both relays for turn signals and flashers and it appears the problem has been corrected . With the exception that I have what appears to be a burned out bulb. Really looking forward to working on it. And as requested I have added a few more pics.

Attachments

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Looks like the 24 volt system and glowplug system are intact. :)

I have one tip for you and that is to blue locktight the air cleaner wing bolts. Those little devils like to come loose and disappear. Looks like there are new ones on there.

Salty dog

This vehicle is gonna keep me busy, I had to replace a burned Out fuse to get the headlights working, and saw that they were old and dim. Went and replaced them and now they won’t come on, I checked the blackout switch and it’s in the correct position as the other running lights are working, and this morning with 75 degree weather she won’t start up, wait Light turns off in less than five seconds and i hear a distinctive click under the hood, strange thing is that click repeats its every five seconds

DeadParrot

Also possible the bright/dim headlight switch died. While the turn lever activates that switch, the switch is located close to the floor board on the column and has a three connector plug.

The nice thing about the CUCV family is GM made millions of the square body trucks and there is a healthy supply of a lot of parts. Bad news is many of the diesel specific parts are getting hard to find. Hang on to any old parts as even bad parts may have some trading value.

Salty dog

I plan to get to road worthy first so I can pass inspection and get it tagged, after that I plan to restore it with possible slight modifications. Nothing set in stone just yet

LT67

After waiting and searching I have brought home a 1984 M1009, 79,000 original miles. I plan to restore her to her former glory. It is running and driving, a few issues that I have come across so far. When you use the left turn signal it causes all four turn signals to flash. The headlights need to be replaced, this weekend I will tear into the brakes to inspect and replace what is necessary. I need to make sure it will pass a safety inspection before getting tagged. From there I plan to slowly restore and repair what is needed. I could not be happier
Welcome to the rabbit hole lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks