• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce~! Drove it home from Jefferson City yesterday!

Well, I picked up my first Deuce yesterday, a 1968 Kaiser M35A2. I drove the 300+ miles to Jefferson City and pawed it over. 12,215 miles and looked in good shape. Went over the entire truck as talked about on this site. Checked oil, radiator, tranny, transfer, differentials, brakes, tires, lug nuts, belts, lights, horn.....it was good to go. Even had over half a tank of diesel.

Started with a push of a button and ran fine. I hitched it up to a M105A2 I bought and headed out. Truck tracked straight and the breaks worked fine. The more I drove it the better the engine ran. A couple stops to make sure everything was good, some fresh diesel and back on the road.

Once it had been running for a bit and cleared the fur balls out of her system she ran at 60 mph. Up hill she'd drop to 55 mph and down hill I had to be careful to keep it from creeping past 63 mph. Made good time on the way back and had zero problems. I was surprised at the speed considering what everyone has posted and that it has standard tires. I've seen lots of posts on how slow and gutless these trucks are, but I am happy with how this one rolls.

Heater blows good heat, tranny shifts great, clutch feels good, most of the tires are new, all the gauges work, lights work, windows roll up and down and the doors work fine. Hell....it even had the full tool kit in it and two new batteries.

Her last stint in life was with an Aviation unit and under the hood was stenciled Hanger Queen.....pretty funny....

OK, so I have my first Deuce and I love it. Now I need to thank the members of this site for all their help, offers of help, info and amusing posts.

I look forward to being able to add info to this site instead of just asking questions in the future.
Here are 3 pics I snapped yesterday, will post more later!

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the MADNESS begins. You just think it will stop with just one.........

Great looking truck. I love the "Hanger Queen" on the hood.

Warthog

jimm1009

your new-to-you truck

This makes me REALLY jealous!

My truck won't go over 54 MPH with the 9:00 x 20 NDCC tires on it and I have the later overdrive tranny.

Side note: Your heater is hooked up incorrectly as several seem to be.
There are several posts on it and a PM Magazine article too that show the correct lower hose installation.

Did I say "I'm Jealous"?

Think O.D. Green fellow MV brother.
This is the first step into the never ending OD Green world.

You can't have just one either!!

Jim :-D

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
David I think that your's started it's military life as a blue Air Force duce, unless I got my notes mixed-up. Plus I am pretty sure it had been re motored not too long ago. You should be able to tell from the data plate on the dash and data on left side of motor. Nice truck, good score, Dave C.

Sumoman

Oh I cannot wait!!!! MY EUC was just confirmed and one last email. Yours looks great and I hope mine drives as well as your did. I love the personal stencil under the hood, shows a little humor and some personal attachment from the service members who used her.

Congrats.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Air Force deuces are always OD Green. . .:p

G R E A T looking truck, congrats!
No, that is the weird thing, when we were out there checking them out you could see the AF blue was under various layers of OD/ CARC. It was really true blue semi gloss as a first coat!

Just out of curiosity, what were your RPMs at 63MPH?
BC

2,700 rpms......speed was verified by the chase truck and gps......I dunno.....but
55 is a breeze at 2,500

more pics from today!

also, I think it has air assisted steering...I took a couple pics but will make a separate post on it......maybe I got lucky.....

I pounded it around the back 40 today, front axle engaged and disengaged and high and low range. Man this thing is great! I am really happy I took the plunge and went ahead and bid on this truck. Trailer is in great shape too. I would not have done it though without all the info and advice here. So thanks again guys!

I'd like to put on a Bar-b-q for Kansas members, and anyone else who wishes to show up, when it warms up a bit.