• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first deuce.

oldiron4x4

Well being new to this I jumped in head first and I just won my first auction. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my duece runs and is not a lemon. There were only three pictures to look at prior to bidding, none of which showed the motor. It looked fairly good from the outside. I sent the EUC form today and am waiting on a response. It is in Blackstone, Va. Has anyone every dealt with this location? They only posted generic information about the truck.

C

cmvpa

congrats on your first deuce. let us know if you need us to go with you. we have a 5ton with tow bar. always glad to help out.

Last edited:

pevrs114

I've never dealt with the DRMO/GL guys at Pickett but I spent lots of time there as a soldier. I'm close by (less than 30 minutes) if you need a hand come time to do the recovery, just PM me. I'd be happy to help if I can!

oldiron4x4

I really appreciate the offer. This is whole new experience for me. If you are serious, it would be nice to have a contact close by. I am about 120 miles away. I am still concerned that the truck is not road worthy since they didn't offer any information. I am planning on calling them Monday to try and get some information. For the time being while I wait on a response from my EUC, I can't thank you enough.

oldiron4x4

Corporal, thanks for the offer. At this time I am not real sure how I am going to get it back here. This has all happened real fast. I went from wanting a duece, to bidding on a duece and losing, to bidding on one and winning. Well, I planed on this process taking a little longer to give me time to get the driveway widened to accomodate the duece. Well, things are progressing in the wrong order. I bought a duece but have not got the driveway done. I was hoping to have it done towards the end of April. Well, it looks like I might need to hurry up now. Anyway, it will be an adventure. I can't wait.

pevrs114

I'm entirely serious. I am in the middle of changing jobs so I don't know what my work schedule will look like over the next few weeks, but as a police officer I have rotating shifts, and have days off during the week and on weekends alike.

I'm fairly handy mechanically, and my buddy is even more so (he works on an ambulance so has similar schedule). We've got some tools and good contacts with local parts stores.

We're literally just up the road from Pickett (Ft. Pickett is just outside of Blackstone, VA), and I'm very familiar with how to get around on the base, as I was in the VA National Guard for almost 8 years and our police academy does training there. I'm also very familiar with Blackstone, Nottoway county, and nearby Prince Edward county (where I live).

So, give me a yell via PM or email at greyman271(at)yahoo.com and let me know when you're planning to come up. If I'm free I'm more than happy to lend a hand.

ETA - If you go on a weekday, I have some contacts at MATES (the VAARNG overhaul depot on Ft Pickett) that may or may not be able to lend technical assistance. I have no idea what their schedule is but I deployed with two guys who work there who are 63B Light Wheel Mechanics (5ton and below). It's a crap shoot as to whether they'd be there and what if anything they could help with, but it's better than nothing!

Last edited:

dm22630

Hey pevrs114.....I just won 3 M813s at Blackstone on Thursday also.

Have you previewed anything on the GL lot there before? How hard is it to get on the base?

Thanks!

pevrs114

DM,

The only time I've been to what I believe is the GL lot was when I was looking at some of the Katrina campers there. Ft. Pickett (at least in 2007) held literally a few thousand pull-behind campers that FEMA bought for Katrina refugees. Many refugees were hooched up on Pickett, and I believe it became a staging point for selling the campers.

When I dropped by to check on the campers (during basic SWAT school, Sep 2007 IIRC) the folks there were helpful, they let me walk around and look all I wanted. I didn't end up doing much, and they hadn't even hit auction yet so all you were allowed to do was look. But I got a good impression from them and they seemed very organized. They had fliers printed up with all the instructions on how to bid on the campers and terms of pickup/delivery.

The gate at the main entrance is a small hut with civilian contractor guards. I've never had any problem getting on base, though I haven't had much need lately. I would imagine that if you're going to pick up something from GL then it's pretty simple. The base is laid out very easy to understand, if the GL lot is where I'm thinking it's only 1 turn from the main road. Blackstone has plenty of food (try Brother's Pizza for the best in town) and a few good parts stores. Of course, being in the Bible Belt (as you fellow Virginians well know) no non-chain parts stores will be open past 6pm and everything pretty much shuts down on Sundays. I don't believe there are any Advanced/AutoZone's in Blackstone, but I'm a CarQuest/NAPA kind of guy myself. Walmart isn't far from post, and it's 24/7/365. West gate onto post isn't open 24/7, I believe it closes at 10p and reopens at 7a.

If anyone is headed this way and I am free, I'd love to lend a hand. I'm new to the whole MV thing (as a collector, not as a user) and I'd love to meet and greet with some local folks and try to help out and learn. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you contact info if you're headed this way.

If anyone near there ends up needing a tow, I'd highly recommend the following local tow services - I've used both extensively as a police officer and the light towing service personally. They will both treat you right, no doubt-

Light service (roll backs and one small wheel lift)-

Third Street Wrecker
East Third St
Farmville VA 23901
434-392-9772

Heavy wrecker - (Peterbuilt semi tandem axle wrecker)

Watt's Towing
Crewe VA 23930
434-298-7871

JeepMan

DM,

The only time I've been to what I believe is the GL lot was when I was looking at some of the Katrina campers there. Ft. Pickett (at least in 2007) held literally a few thousand pull-behind campers that FEMA bought for Katrina refugees. Many refugees were hooched up on Pickett, and I believe it became a staging point for selling the campers.

When I dropped by to check on the campers (during basic SWAT school, Sep 2007 IIRC) the folks there were helpful, they let me walk around and look all I wanted. I didn't end up doing much, and they hadn't even hit auction yet so all you were allowed to do was look. But I got a good impression from them and they seemed very organized. They had fliers printed up with all the instructions on how to bid on the campers and terms of pickup/delivery.

The gate at the main entrance is a small hut with civilian contractor guards. I've never had any problem getting on base, though I haven't had much need lately. I would imagine that if you're going to pick up something from GL then it's pretty simple. The base is laid out very easy to understand, if the GL lot is where I'm thinking it's only 1 turn from the main road. Blackstone has plenty of food (try Brother's Pizza for the best in town) and a few good parts stores. Of course, being in the Bible Belt (as you fellow Virginians well know) no non-chain parts stores will be open past 6pm and everything pretty much shuts down on Sundays. I don't believe there are any Advanced/AutoZone's in Blackstone, but I'm a CarQuest/NAPA kind of guy myself. Walmart isn't far from post, and it's 24/7/365. West gate onto post isn't open 24/7, I believe it closes at 10p and reopens at 7a.

If anyone is headed this way and I am free, I'd love to lend a hand. I'm new to the whole MV thing (as a collector, not as a user) and I'd love to meet and greet with some local folks and try to help out and learn. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you contact info if you're headed this way.

If anyone near there ends up needing a tow, I'd highly recommend the following local tow services - I've used both extensively as a police officer and the light towing service personally. They will both treat you right, no doubt-

Light service (roll backs and one small wheel lift)-

Third Street Wrecker
East Third St
Farmville VA 23901
434-392-9772

Heavy wrecker - (Peterbuilt semi tandem axle wrecker)

Watt's Towing
Crewe VA 23930
434-298-7871
Only "problem" with those FEMA trailers is the formaldahyde problem. Those deemed contaminated are supposed to be turned into scrap. Some have already turned up in mobile home parks against the sale rules.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks