• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first ever fuel run in my new to me deuce and a half went well...at first. Ideas?

Jeeper10

I took my wife for our first ever run in the deuce to go get fuel. It's about a 6 mile trip one way. It went absolutely awesome for 95% of the trip. I decide right or wrong to leave the deuce running while I fueled up concerned it wouldn't start back up (I'm a little paranoid about such things until I trust it lol) anyhow it went really well. I had several admirers which was really neat, and I had a guy stop his truck and asked me about the deuce. I talked to him for a few minutes all the time listening to my truck run and it sounded great. After a few minutes we started our trip home and everything went well Untill I literally pulled into the driveway. At that point it started to sound awful and smoke. Almost like it was skipping, even sounded a little bit like it was knocking. I shut it off immediately and opened the hood. I didn't visually see any issues, I checked the oil which I just changed last week. After letting it sit for a few minutes and looking over things I decided to take a chance and start it back up. It seemed to sound better and was not smoking though I didn't give it any throttle to speak of. I shut it back off after only letting it run for 30 seconds or so. I have yet to replace a fuel filters. I went in the house and grabbed a glass jar. I went back out with my wife in tow and opened the drains on the bottom of the fuel filter housings, I then asked her to turn on the fuel pump. What came out is as seen in the attached picture. There's definately some water in it and overall looks kind a scuzzy. After doing this I started it back up and let it run for a minute or two and it acted perfectly. I'm Hoping this is all that's wrong with my truck, but was kind a hoping for some confirmation and feedback from you folks that know these things a whole lot better than I do. I don't know if it's relevant but I should mention that my truck has an auxiliary or aftermarket fuel pump in addition to the factory pump. I had them both on but I'm not sure that I should be. Changing those fuel filters just went to the top of the list of things to do. I also noticed I am leaking coolant from around the neck Where it attaches to the radiator. Hopefully that's just a matter of having it re-soldered. I'm sorry this is so long and as always thank you guys I really appreciate all the help.

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your reaction was very good and you nailed the issue. I would be concerned about crud sitting in the fuel tank, getting stirred up with the refuel and making a mess of the new filters in due course. If it were my truck, I would probably want to check and clean out the fuel system...and steam out the tank..and recoat the inside...and put spin on fuel filters on and....generally go overboard :)

dmetalmiki

As above, and flush the system..that is really bad crud in that jar. Sounds like a nice truck, (and I am so >pleased< YOU "acted perfectly" !..) sorry for that couldn't resist..What chance you can post up some pictures of your truck? And the process of sorting the fuel system out. I would replace the fuel filters for new ones, and just flush the old new ones in petrol to keep as emergency standbys.

Special T

I think you did yourself a diservice by filling the tank before looking at the filters. The first step in diagnosing a diesel problem is lookat/ replace the fuel filter. The spin on conversion spares in the truck and a tank rinsing are in order. Depending on how much smag is in the tank you may get away with just a rinsing if there isnt much.

Jeeper10

I think you did yourself a diservice by filling the tank before looking at the filters. The first step in diagnosing a diesel problem is lookat/ replace the fuel filter. The spin on conversion spares in the truck and a tank rinsing are in order. Depending on how much smag is in the tank you may get away with just a rinsing if there isnt much.
i think your correct as now I have 40-45 gallons of fuel to figure out what to do with lol. The truck is new to me and I didn't realize I had an issue prior to this or I would have never filled her lol.

Jeeper10

As above, and flush the system..that is really bad crud in that jar. Sounds like a nice truck, (and I am so >pleased< YOU "acted perfectly" !..) sorry for that couldn't resist..What chance you can post up some pictures of your truck? And the process of sorting the fuel system out. I would replace the fuel filters for new ones, and just flush the old new ones in petrol to keep as emergency standbys.
im not sure how nice it is but by the end of the summer I hope to have a decent paint job and some serious cleaning done too. First is getting the bugs worked out mechanicly lol.

Jeeper10

I think your reaction was very good and you nailed the issue. I would be concerned about crud sitting in the fuel tank, getting stirred up with the refuel and making a mess of the new filters in due course. If it were my truck, I would probably want to check and clean out the fuel system...and steam out the tank..and recoat the inside...and put spin on fuel filters on and....generally go overboard :)
thank you for the reply, I sure hope that's all it is. At first I thought I blew up my engine.

Flyingvan911

If you can get a clean 55 gallon barrel I'd open a fuel line and let the in tank pump get the junk out ( in to a small bucket) then when good fuel starts coming out pump it into the big barrel. Ditto on cleaning everything and converting to spin on filters. I recommend Jatonka's.

i see you learned early to plan extra time into every trip you take in the deuce. You'll find many admirers and taking the time to talk to them helps educate people about our hobby and win us more supporters.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheap way is to make sure the front corner where the filler cap is, is the lowest point on the tank, then got a small siphon, stick it in the very bottom and pull stuff out till you have pure diesel and no water. Then change the filters. The first filter (on the passenger side, attached to the frame, kinda underneath the alternator) is supposed to be the water separator filter. It is supposed to be checked every time the truck is run - no water, good to go. It is also possible that you got some 'bad diesel' because the station had just received more and their underground tank had been stirred up. HTH

Jeeper10

Cheap way is to make sure the front corner where the filler cap is, is the lowest point on the tank, then got a small siphon, stick it in the very bottom and pull stuff out till you have pure diesel and no water. Then change the filters. The first filter (on the passenger side, attached to the frame, kinda underneath the alternator) is supposed to be the water separator filter. It is supposed to be checked every time the truck is run - no water, good to go. It is also possible that you got some 'bad diesel' because the station had just received more and their underground tank had been stirred up. HTH
That's a great idea at least to let me run down to a more manageable quantity of fuel to make the assessment to remove the tank. Thank you

AZK9

... It is also possible that you got some 'bad diesel' because the station had just received more and their underground tank had been stirred up. HTH
Yup... that's always a possibility.

Good that you were in your own driveway when you had to shut it down!
Looking at your 'fuel-in-the-jar' photo... it seems like a lot of water in that 'mix'!

As I learned early in my 'deuce-education'... good fuel filters are super critical
and worth the investment... bigtime!

Jeepsinker

Clean the tank, convert it to all spin on filters, and never look back. That's some of the best money you can spend on these trucks. The cannister filters suck gorilla c0ck...

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeeper 10 congrats, do the fuel system and put a brake resivoir on the firewall. Check your lube in your axles, transfer case and trans, as these areas are critical. Any problems ask. Have fun and remember you can't have just 1

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question on fueling

Greetings All, this is my first post since registering.

First off, glad you got your new deuce home safely and didn't leave engine parts along the road. Hopefully after cleaning the fuel system & filters, your deuce will be just fine.

I finally am getting funds to put down and drive home my very own M35A2 that I have been wanting for years. I did have a question that cropped up at my local filling station that gave me cause for concern and was hoping you all might put my mind at ease.

I stopped this weekend to fuel up my Jeep and noticed a sign on the diesel pump that read something to the effect that only vehicles with less than 3 axles can be filled from the pump & that vehicles with 3 or more axles must go elsewhere. I live in AZ so not sure if this is a state thing or what. I am wondering if I would be arrested or something if I pulled my deuce up there for a drink. Does this stupid little sign mean that I have to drive miles down the road to the nearest truck stop to fill up my deuce? :???:

71DeuceAK

On a similar note, One that makes me laugh is the "Compact Car Parking Only" signs. So if I pull in in a pickup I can get a fine or something? How about a Deuce?

Jeeper10

Greetings All, this is my first post since registering.

First off, glad you got your new deuce home safely and didn't leave engine parts along the road. Hopefully after cleaning the fuel system & filters, your deuce will be just fine.

I finally am getting funds to put down and drive home my very own M35A2 that I have been wanting for years. I did have a question that cropped up at my local filling station that gave me cause for concern and was hoping you all might put my mind at ease.

I stopped this weekend to fuel up my Jeep and noticed a sign on the diesel pump that read something to the effect that only vehicles with less than 3 axles can be filled from the pump & that vehicles with 3 or more axles must go elsewhere. I live in AZ so not sure if this is a state thing or what. I am wondering if I would be arrested or something if I pulled my deuce up there for a drink. Does this stupid little sign mean that I have to drive miles down the road to the nearest truck stop to fill up my deuce? :???:
nothing like that at my local station, im guessing if some common sense is used and you don't block other customers you'll be fine.

Jeeper10

Based on all the advice I got from you folks I think I have my fuel system cleaned out pretty well. I did not remove the tank itself but I did use a siphon to get down to the bottom of the tank and that method seem to work very well. As soon as money allows I will be buying the spin on filter adapters. Thanks to everyone on here I'm having a great time working on this truck. So again I just want to say thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks