• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first M1009!

wisconsinz

(I already posted this in the noob section, but I ended up buying the thing so I figured I should introduce myself (my CUCV) in this forum)

Just bought this '85 M1009 and its in EXCELLENT condition! Seller was a great guy, and kept it collector-like condition after he bought it off the train at a military auction. Turns out he's a fellow steel soldier (thanks StellaRuthie)! After I saw its condition I knew it was well worth what he was asking. Insides coated with Herculiner, and undercarriage has some thin rubber coating (i think?). Engine looks great too--only 64k on it! Drove great at higher speeds on the way home and kept me plenty warm. Good tires too!

A couple concerns:

1) Starts a little rough when its cold (turns over for a long time, then slows down). I'm wondering if this could be an electrical drain because he just recently bought 2 new batteries? And I'm assuming that this isn't equipped with the "winterization kit" or "under hood heater" since I couldn't find it. Any advice?

2) When it idles it shutters a bit. Hasn't died yet, but the shutters make me nervous.

Other than those concerns, most of my plans will be cosmetic. I love the Military stencils, but not crazy about the tan (wish they would've kept it green!), so I don't know if i'll repaint it. I've always wanted to paint an SUV like the Jurassic Park Explorers: http://img.waffleimages.com/1cf7abb8...20explorer.jpg
Also gotta get some tunes and cup-holders in there, so I think i'll build an all-in-one console like cucv1833 did here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...l-dsc00289.jpg http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachm...l-dsc00288.jpg
Would also like to lift it....i think k5s look the best when lifted. And finally, the main reason I went with a diesel K5 (besides the better mpg), is because this is gonna be my next veg conversion project. This summer I converted my Chevy 6.5L Express short bus with a system from Enviofuel and things are going great. And before you jump all over me with veg conversion warnings/horror stories, I'm gonna do this right, so don't worry!

Comments/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Attachments

SPCWarning

Welcome WisconsinZ, and congrats on the CUCV! Looks like a clean one. Don't let the tan throw you off, the color looked good in Desert Storm! Keep us updated on any mods to the 1009.
Jimmy

aggopian

From what I've read on my CUCV research (want a 1008 REAL bad but no money... real sad...) It could be as simple as an air leak at the fuel filter or line. You would loose start up prime and could be sucking air when idling.

Good luck with it looks great!

donalloy1

Outstanding wisconz! Please let us know how you proceed in detail on veggie conversion. Would like to entertain myself when time is right.fat lady sings

epartsman

Welcome! Do keep us informed to the WVO conversion. Your problem could be a variety of things. Search the posts you will find the help you need as there is awealth of info here. Good luck!

A couple concerns:

1) Starts a little rough when its cold (turns over for a long time, then slows down). I'm wondering if this could be an electrical drain because he just recently bought 2 new batteries? And I'm assuming that this isn't equipped with the "winterization kit" or "under hood heater" since I couldn't find it. Any advice?

2) When it idles it shutters a bit. Hasn't died yet, but the shutters make me nervous.

1) Glow plugs are the first things I'd replace. Get AC Delco 60G's (you'll need to file/trim down the connector tab).

Also the general consensus seems to be to;
a.) remove the glow plug resistor (big black thing on the fire wall behind the air cleaner) power the glow plugs with 12 volts
and
b.) bypassing the glow plug controller/module, and putting in a manual push button

2) I would check the fuel system for leaks. And replace the fuel filter.
How bad are the shutters? Or what exactly is happening when it does it? Is it just like a little miss, or is it like a big miss/multiple misses?

Nice looking truck by the way! I just got a M1009 myself.

epartsman

My 2 cents. If you are in the cold Northern regions you will need to add a block heater.
Check for fuel leaks and do a complete service of everything. Could be IP seals, leaky or clogged injectors, return line, filters, etc. Doghead mod is a must! Bypassing the glowplug controller is something I wouldn't do as I have read too may threads about people holding their bypass button too long causing the glow plus to swell making them a nightmare to replace and I would start with the fuel system the first thing being a new filter and running a couple of tanks of diesel through it after the leak check with some motorcraft PM22A additive. Todays diesel does not have the lubricity it once did and you will ruin an IP running straight ULSD. Mine had been sitting a year since its last start and previously sat 20 years in the tall grass at the Florida National Guard (its a 23K mile rust bucket) but after replacing the starter and the flywheel it started on the first turn and ran smoothly on the mud in the tank. Mine is having a ton of maint performed the some body work. Read the CUCV Wiki at the begining of this section, the other threads, and with some time, effort and a little $ you will work out the bugs.

Last edited:
Doghead mod is a must!
:ditto: I forgot about that one.

Bypassing the glowplug controller is something I wouldn't do as I have read too may threads about people holding their bypass button too long causing the glow plus to swell making them a nightmare to replace.
If you don't hold the plugs on for excessive amounts of time you wont have problems. With the 60G's you shouldn't have any problems either, and if you convert it over to the 12 volt system you really shouldn't have any problem.
Honestly most of the stories about swollen glow plugs involve stock glowplug systems and Wellmans or AC 13G's.
Case in point, I'm in the process of removing 7 swollen Wellman 070 glow plugs on my 1009, with a stock GP system right now (all 8 were swollen, only the 1 came out without any force).

I would start with the fuel system the first thing being a new filter and running a couple of tanks of diesel through it after the leak check with some motorcraft PM22A additive. Todays diesel does not have the lubricity it once did and you will ruin an IP running straight ULSD.
Read the CUCV Wiki at the begining of this section, the other threads, and with some time, effort and a little $ you will work out the bugs.
Good advice on the fuel system!
I've read a couple sources saying Opti-Lube XPD is one of the best additives, has great lubricity, and good cetane levels. However, I'm not sure where to get it, probably something you have to order online. Running a 200:1 ratio of two-stroke oil is also a good, fairly inexpensive to go to add some lubricity.

Last edited:

epartsman

My GP system is stock, wait light goes out in like 15 seconds, and it's running before the starter completes its first revolution. Most of the guys I have read that were doing the module bypass are having starting problems which may not be the GP's. In doing so they are throwing more fire at the fuel which will get it started and if you read the threads the problems seem to start when it gets cold and they are complaing of longer crank times which may require a block heater instead. I was just stating what I would do. The PM22a is available also @ any Ford Dealer for $8.49 a bottle and it treats 127 gallons.
We have a truck shop and I have access to 4 certified diesel mechanics and one that drag races a Ford Ranger with a hopped up 7.3L diesel so I am not speaking from a stand point of no experience. I have been in the auto/truck business for 27 years. Whatever you do make it right for you.

Basically it's just preventative. Like doing the doghead mod.

The starter relay commonly malfunctions- Fix=Doghead mod

The glow plug control module commonly malfunctions- Fix=Install push button switch.

Neither may never fail, or both may fail. Granted if the starter relay malfunctions you can be pretty screwed pretty quick, so that's definitely a must-do mod.

But a block heater is a good idea if you commonly get colder weather. They are fairly inexpensive and relatively easy to install. Well worth it.

epartsman

Or replace the glow plug controller with the new updated version which is about $80.00 which is plug and play with no fabricating or wiring to fool with. It is nice to just turn the key and not have to worry about how long to hold a button. Time is $ and I vote for plug and play. Not to say I won't be adding A/C and doing other mods like a separate 12V accessory fuse panel, tilt, security system, tunes, power windows and locks which cannot be done plug and play. The beauty is I have 90% of the parts now and the know how I just have to find the time.
Enjoy your 09 it is one of the coolest most customizeable rides on the planet that draws all kinds of attention going down the road.

wisconsinz

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Well, before I could get it into my garage to give it the once over, she wouldn't start when I was trying to leave from work. Turned it over for a long time, then the turns started to slow down, then I eventually drained the battery and it wouldn't crank. Charged/jumped it with two other vehicles, cycling the GP's twice, then put the pedal to the floor (only about 25 degrees here) like it said in the TM. Drove fine, but still seemed to be shuttering when idling. Added some diesel additive then parked it at home. I plan on getting the additives that you all suggested.

So, after reading your preventative advice from this thread and others, here's what I plan to do (tell me if i'm wrong)....

- Use fuel additives
- Check for leaks and replace fuel filter or any bad lines
- Check/test glow plugs. If shot, buy some AC 60G's
- Doghead conversion
- Possibly replace the glow plug controller. I should also mention that the stock Glow plug relay HAS been replaced. Epartsman: do you know the part number for the updated controller? Or what should I tell the guys at Napa?
- Possibly install a block heater

Hows that sound for now?

Couple more minor issues (if you have the time/energy):

1) 2 lights behind speedometer and gas gauge won't work. Fuses are fine and I replaced bulbs.
2) Horn fuse is good, but horn won't sound. It clicks when I tap it, but no sound.

THANKS!

epartsman

Cucv Electric who is also a member sells them. Do not get a Napa.

CUCV Glow Plug Controller Module M1008, M1009, M1010, M1028, M1031 | eBay

I just included the link and I believe they have their own website as well.

Horn is just bad. A junk yard special can be adapted from any vehicle. Mine is getting a pair of dual note (4 horns) from some donors at my friends salvage yard
free. They are F-150 horns but the price is right.

I always wanted to hook up one of those train horns just to T/O my neighbors.

If the bulbs did not work check the printed circuit on the back of the cluster for damage or burn marks you should be able to trace the circuit as they are transparent. Cleaning the cluster connections might also help.

wisconsinz

oh **** yeah. I just remembered I have this loud-ass boat horn that a friend removed from a huge tourist boat!!

Disregard the question about the dash....I did some searching and found some answers in another thread.

Thanks epartsman!