• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first M923A1!

sgtrisk

Won this yesterday! I'm excited! I plan to recover it on June 4. Hopefully it will make the 180 mile trip home without any problem. GL's description indicated that the truck was driven onto the lot.

I've been looking through the TMs and posts here, but haven't been able to figure it out. Are those tires tubeless?? I'm hoping that the two rear tires are just a little leaky, and don't have real holes in them. If they are tubeless, would I be nuts to pour a bunch of Slime in them to seal them up temporarily?

1-1.jpg 4-1.jpg 5-1.jpg

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Congrats on the truck. Yes they are tubless and you could try to put slime in them but if the gasket they use in the middle of the rim is leaking then you will be wasting your money as it will never make it to it. If it will pump back up and hold the air until you get home you will still need to have them fixed properly.Beware that they didnt set on the rim and cause permanent damage to the inside of the tire, This is why you need to have them looked at by a pro to be safe . Good luck on your recovery I promise you will never forget the trip.........

trooper632

May have just been sitting for a very long time, I had two flat tires on my M931a2 when it was picked up last week. CTIS system filled them up and have held air ever since. Alot of these trucks sit for a year or better.

tobyS

Have you thought about disengaging a couple of axles, front and rear. I'm making a cover (for 923) so I can remove the front spline and rear axle shaft (takes about ten minutes) so they will free wheel. I haven't seen discussion about the issue, but it would have to help fuel economy and reduce wear. For going very far, I would also remove the intermediate to rear drive shaft.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Unless you put a ton of miles on it I don't think it's going to make much difference on wear and tear the axles will still be spinning in the hubs. It's your truck try it out and report back. I wouldn't do anything I couldn't easily reverse though.

tobyS

All one does to "reverse" is to re-install the axle or front spline unit...nothing not reversed easy. Did it on the front of my 923 in minutes (and made a good time to check grease on bearings). The front axle or differential is not turning, but the rear would be if one does not remove the short rear driveshaft, which is very easy. Personally I would like a set of front "lockouts", but have not seen any available. They make a lot of difference on my 73 F66 4x4 boomtruck. If one is towing, there would be no drivetrain rotation (if all six removed), which would have to make a difference. Then again, if $$$ for fuel is no object...turn it all...all the time.

sgtrisk

Yup, I found the details on the tires finally this morning before dawn (!) and see that they are tubeless, and the gasket, and the two-piece rims. Wow. Yes, no question that I'll be dropping these off at a professional tire place (or have them picked up). This beast doesn't have CTIS, so I'll take my hose and fittings from my M109A3 with me to air the tires up. I REALLY hope the tires are physically sound so that I don't have to replace them any time soon!

I was surprised (although not REAL surprised) to see that ALL of the lube/hydraulic fluids used on the truck are the same OE/HDO 15/40 oil! Makes it a lot simpler in the field, obviously. Just seems strange to use motor oil in the hydraulic system. What are folks using for the oil in their rigs? Penzoil? Mobil 1? LOL! Seriously though, recommendations requested here. :confused:

I'm recovering from New Castle, DE. I'm going to run up there on Tuesday and recon the route (I almost hate to, but I'm going to have do I-95 all the way to DC, then I-66 a ways to Rt. 29 in VA. That should be a nightmare. Also going to see where the truck stops are! AND see where the SS help is located!! ;-)
When I recovered my M109A3 I had a pretty uneventful trip from Mechanicsburg (or was it Chambersburg?) PA down to central VA. But coming from DE will be a whole 'nuther 'sperience!!

(BTW, the wife isn't speaking to me today after finding out about this.) :cry:
Oops.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I found the details on the tires finally this morning before dawn (!) and see that they are tubeless, and the gasket, and the two-piece rims. Wow. Yes, no question that I'll be dropping these off at a professional tire place (or have them picked up). This beast doesn't have CTIS, so I'll take my hose and fittings from my M109A3 with me to air the tires up. I REALLY hope the tires are physically sound so that I don't have to replace them any time soon!

I was surprised (although not REAL surprised) to see that ALL of the lube/hydraulic fluids used on the truck are the same OE/HDO 15/40 oil! Makes it a lot simpler in the field, obviously. Just seems strange to use motor oil in the hydraulic system. What are folks using for the oil in their rigs? Penzoil? Mobil 1? LOL! Seriously though, recommendations requested here. :confused:

I'm recovering from New Castle, DE. I'm going to run up there on Tuesday and recon the route (I almost hate to, but I'm going to have do I-95 all the way to DC, then I-66 a ways to Rt. 29 in VA. That should be a nightmare. Also going to see where the truck stops are! AND see where the SS help is located!! ;-)
When I recovered my M109A3 I had a pretty uneventful trip from Mechanicsburg (or was it Chambersburg?) PA down to central VA. But coming from DE will be a whole 'nuther 'sperience!!

(BTW, the wife isn't speaking to me today after finding out about this.) :cry:
Oops.
I've added Rotella to me 923A2. A lot of guys apparently change the trans to dexron, I'll stick with what they started with. Hear you on the wife. Mine will be pitching a fit soon as I snag a wrecker one of these days! She didn't mind much cause I got my 5 ton cheap.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT Slime the wheels, this created a big out of balance situation at highway speeds. Take your air line with and check them periodically. Check for tire rot/cracking of the side wall before you roll out. The long term fix is to seperate the wheel halves and clean the rust up in the seal/O ring seat, re-assemble with new O ring and torque to specified value. Good luck and have fun.
JC