• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first MEP-003 start

PaulbusMax

Here's my deal, I'm trying to get my 003 started. All filters changed, transfer pumps working, fuel present at inlet to IP. First attempt, it started, a little rough, which i attributed to some nasty residual fuel in the line which i overlooked cleaning out. Ran maybe 10 seconds, pretty low RPM. Subsequent attempts to start have been no go. I cracked open lines to the injectors, cranked and notice very little fuel, more of a wetting than flow. The return line from IP to tank cracked open, it's dry. No leaks at filters. Thoughts?

coyotegray

With the lines cracked and the start switch on but not started do you get any fuel from the lines..? Can you hear the pump? Might work your way along the fuel path see if there is an obstruction...

ETA, I had a problem with my 003 where the secondary fuel pump had failed and was clogged, it was obstructing fuel flow... I just removed it and just run one pump now..

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my deal, I'm trying to get my 003 started. All filters changed, transfer pumps working, fuel present at inlet to IP. First attempt, it started, a little rough, which i attributed to some nasty residual fuel in the line which i overlooked cleaning out. Ran maybe 10 seconds, pretty low RPM. Subsequent attempts to start have been no go. I cracked open lines to the injectors, cranked and notice very little fuel, more of a wetting than flow. The return line from IP to tank cracked open, it's dry. No leaks at filters. Thoughts?
I would suspect that you still have some air in the lines. Make certain that you bleed the fuel system and remove all air. The fact that it ran for ~10 seconds or so would indicate to me that the IP is working and the fuel pump as well. With new filters, clean tank and new fuel you have already eliminated some potential causes. I'm also assuming that you pre-heated the glow plugs, which are needed even in warm weather for an easy start.

PaulbusMax

Yes, i did use the glow plugs, should i see fuel coming from the IP return line with the pumps running, but not cranking the engine? I'll double check the pumps, i know at least one is running, i can hear it operate, and slow down as pressure builds.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mangus is probably onto something. The shut-off rod on these IP's seems to gum up a lot and stick in the closed position. Even though your fuel shutoff solenoid is pulling in, the rod inside the IP may not be doing it's job. There have been a few members who have has similar issues. With your pumps running, the return to the tank should be a pretty good stream, as long as you have good fuel flow to and through the IP, I would start looking into the shut-off linkage. You may need to pull the IP to clean up the stopper rod.

PaulbusMax

I guess i'm going to pull the IP. I verified the transfer pumps are working, good fuel flow to the IP. Nothing from the return line. Pulled the delivery valve to look see, there is fresh fuel present there. The IP control linkage is free and moves easily. I'm suspecting something in the hydraulic head / plunger assy. Stuck maybe?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are getting nothing from the return line, I would be checking fuel lines before I pull the IP off. I think the return line should return as much fuel to the tank as you are pumping no matter the position of the stopper rod inside of the IP (someone please correct me if I am wrong). There have been members who have had some of the 90 degree fittings in the fuel system clogged up with crud and not allowing the fuel to flow. Before you undertake the pulling of the IP, make sure you are getting as much fuel back from the IP to the tank as you are putting to the IP.

Isaac-1

I agree, check the fuel lines, particularly any elbow fittings for clogs. If you do determine it is the injection pump one of the government contractors has been dumping rebuilt pumps on ebay lately. search for MILSTD generator on ebay.

Ike

PaulbusMax

So far, so good, i haven't found anything wrong inside the IP yet. Disassembly not quite complete however as i hope to finish that up tonight. Does anyone happen to know the PSI output of those electric transfer pumps ? On a side note, i noticed one of the screws which hold the IP control shaft retainer plate had backed off pretty much all the way and was preventing the contol linkage from going to a "full throttle" position. The little locking tab was not bent up enough to hold the bolt. I've found some other odds and ends discrepancies too, such as chafing of the high pressure fuel lines against the cylinder temp sensor wires, one of which was rubbed thru to the conductor. The middle two cylinder fuel lines chafing against the sheet metal cover, putting flat spots on the fuel lines. Stuff to fix, weeeeee! Hey thanks for that additional info guys!

Last edited:

Isaac-1

So far, so good, i haven't found anything wrong inside the IP yet. Disassembly not quite complete however as i hope to finish that up tonight. Does anyone happen to know the PSI output of those electric transfer pumps ? On a side note, i noticed one of the screws which hold the IP control shaft retainer plate had backed off pretty much all the way and was preventing the contol linkage from going to a "full throttle" position. The little locking tab was not bent up enough to hold the bolt. I've found some other odds and ends discrepancies too, such as chafing of the high pressure fuel lines against the cylinder temp sensor wires, one of which was rubbed thru to the conductor. The middle two cylinder fuel lines chafing against the sheet metal cover, putting flat spots on the fuel lines. Stuff to fix, weeeeee! Hey thanks for that additional info guys!
I can't tell you the output pressure of the electric fuel pumps, but can tell you the spec. on the civilian version of this engine is 12-24 psi with a mechanical pump.

Ike

coyotegray

Thanks Ike. My electrics are flowing fuel, it just seems like there isn't much pressure, as judged by the old thumb over the end of the line.
The electric pumps on these generators do not create a great deal of pressure. They just get the fuel to the IP.

**Be very careful with any fuel lines after the IP. The pressure supplied to the injectors is very high and will inject fuel in to your hand.. very bad thing...**

Andy...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The electric pump should build about 6-9 psi, if you deadhead the line.

NEVER use your hand on a high presser IP line.

PaulbusMax

The IP reassembly is complete, it all looked good inside. Clean, nothing sticking, however the little orifice in the return elbow was clogged. A piece of safety wire opened that up. Between the return being inop and the backed off bolt interfereing with the control lever movement, i think we're getiing "someplace". Gentlemen, i thank you for your continuing input.

PaulbusMax

Success! After that clogged elbow orifice, the backed out bolt, and cleaning the IP, we have a good running engine! I added a couple pics here to show the issues i mentioned earlier. The center two cylinder fuel lines rubbing the sheet metal cover, the backed out bolt on the control linkage, the chafed temp sensor wire. Still need to load test the gen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks