• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first MEP generator (MEP-802a), oil pressure gauge not working

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 741246

Doh!

Thanks. Meant to mention that. Wiring. Connections. ALWAYS assume first the connection is wonky, check for corrosion, missing wires, etc. I've replaced/repaired two wire connectors on my 802a already. Amazingly they didn't affect operation. One was from a sender by the dead crank switch on the side of the engine (it has a "spare" wire looped back and held down with a zip tie) one of the paired connectors bottom left side of photo, other was on the other side of the engine (it's been two years, I don't recall).

Vibration, heat, corrosion, metal fatigue, things wear out and/or break.

Reminds me of an Austin Healy Sprite I owned about 40 years ago. That car was a piece of... work... but it would nothing would ever wear out. Things BROKE long before you could run 'em enough to show any signs of wear. And don't get me started on Lucas electrics or I'll share horror stories of a Norton 850 Commando and Whitworth threads and breaking down near Tucson only to have a world-traveling pair of Brits on a Triumph motorcycle help me troubleshoot and find a loose connector in the headlight shell.

Wear and tear. It's part of the inspection list in the manuals.

NB
Norm, I'm also familiar with Lucas electrics as I had a 1972 Norton Commando. We used to refer to Joe Lucas as the father of darkness. Ah yes Whitworth and British Standard fasteners, I had a set of Snap On wrenches for the bike. I sold them many years later to a coworker who had a WW2 BSA 500 single.