• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first military truck/ 1971 M818

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, welcome aboard!
You do know that most of us started out with smaller vehicles and “worked our way up”, right? Well no little 1/4 or 3/4 ton here. Just jump into the hobby with a 5 ton! It’s really smarter this way. Once M-tharx sets in, you were going to wind up with one anyway...
Just so you know, you also found the best site on the net for any hobby!
Like the truck, love the spirit!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :D

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Congratz on the new truck and good luck on naming her.

Looks like she's not going to be lonely in your motor pool. I see trailers and another 5-Ton Tractor in those pics.
Whats the story on your "addiction"?

Again, WELCOME!!!

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA

Tiffanyc1118

First off, welcome aboard!
You do know that most of us started out with smaller vehicles and “worked our way up”, right? Well no little 1/4 or 3/4 ton here. Just jump into the hobby with a 5 ton! It’s really smarter this way. Once M-tharx sets in, you were going to wind up with one anyway...
Just so you know, you also found the best site on the net for any hobby!
Like the truck, love the spirit!
Hubby first had a Deuce and I drove it a few times, not a fan of no power steering, especially with his little I am. He then moved onto bigger (5ton), and I loved it! So now I finally have my own! His and hers.

Tiffanyc1118

Welcome aboard :D

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Congratz on the new truck and good luck on naming her.

Looks like she's not going to be lonely in your motor pool. I see trailers and another 5-Ton Tractor in those pics.
Whats the story on your "addiction"?

Again, WELCOME!!!

John
SS Chaplain
San Angelo, Texas, USA
Husband started this addiction years ago with a deuce, then our crew grew bigger. Couple trailers and the big one we turned into a camper. I'm sure you've seen pictures that he has posted. Jakelc15

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Husband started this addiction years ago with a deuce, then our crew grew bigger. Couple trailers and the big one we turned into a camper. I'm sure you've seen pictures that he has posted. Jakelc15

AH-HA ! ! !
We have now confirmation that this Green Iron Disease IS CONTAGIOUS by close contact ! ! !

Glad you now have your own WITH POWER STEERING!

We also started with a Deuce. When we got our XM818 Dianna quickly claimed it for her own as well - Largely because of that power steering!

fasttruck

Along with all the "welcome to this site" posts here is one you can take to heart: don't make a move without the pubs. Operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual and parts book, and lubrication order which are TM 9-2320-260- 10, 20, 20P and LO. There about 40 grease points on a tractor: 6 on the fifth wheel and 4 on the handbrake alone. Neglect them at your own peril. Learn how an Army light switch works. Learn how to reset the emergency fuel shut off because the engine will not restart if it is tripped out. Learn how the cold weather starting aid works. There are detailed instructions on this in the -10 manual and on the data plates on the dash. If this devise is functional, if you can get the engine spinning it will start. Cummins are hard to start below 40 degrees. This also has to be turned off when not in use as it is the only electric circuit on the truck that does not go through the battery switch.
Know what the vent valves (4 if you have a heater) on the cooling system do so you don't get an air bubble in the engine that will damage same. Attached are some pix showing the fuel pump by pass screw, (what is that for ?) and emergency shut off. Both of which are associated with the Cummins PT fuel pump.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the new truck it looks to be a nice one and to second what was said prior the TMs are the lifeline between us and our trucks! Good luck and enjoy!

fasttruck

Reference post 13: ya gotta lube it with something. The 6 grease fittings refer to 2ea for each trunnion and 2ea for the jaw. A 7th fitting is provided to lube the top of the plate when there is a trailer coupled to it. The Army uses GAA for this as they are not sophisticated enough to use "slick disk" or other modern products that are designed not to attract gobbs of dirt and grit when bob tailing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks