• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first MV, an M43.

60Buick

This one just arrived last night. It was supposed to be 99% rust free, unmolested and running/driving. 2 outta 3 ain't bad. The battery is stone dead, antifreeze is a beautiful rust color, no fuel and brake pedal drops to the floor. It will spin by hand but I doubt it has run in the last decade......The body is very solid, the only rust is the inner sheet metal over the drivers compartment. It is unmolested. It will be a fun project but I am disappointed it is not running and driving. Not being able to move it is a problem. The neighbors are going to have a fit.

I am a little confused with the bumper markings.
47-204M D-42. My Google abilities have not worked. M = medical "D" company 42nd vehicle. The rest has me a little confused.

I am also trying to figure out what the door sticker was... unit marking or something not service related?

20160710_204817.jpg20160710_204834.jpg20160710_205855.jpg20160710_204742.jpg20160710_204853.jpg20160710_205823.jpg20160710_204748.jpg

point

Yah. It is a junky looking thing. If your neighbours get upset you can send it over to me and park it in my yard :)
It looks pretty complete and a very good candidate for a nice paint job. These are pretty rare up in my neck of the woods. If it was supposed to be running, will you get something back from the seller?

60Buick

I doubt a partial refund would happen. It was 1500 miles away when I bought it. Sometimes you have to roll the dice when you can't find one local. I'm happy with it just not looking forward to all the headaches of getting it road worthy. Not running I would have negotiated the price down more.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very nice M43. You also live in a very nice neigborhood. I trust you understand that cannot be left in your driveway for more than a day or so without stirring up a poo storm.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a good mostly complete vehicle to restore. Get familiar with the TMs and tackle things one at a time. I suggest starting with the brakes. Once you get the ball rolling I think you'll have fun.:!:

60Buick

An afternoon well spent. It runs. The engine sounds good, no smoke or knocks and good oil pressure. It has 17,000 on the odometer. I believe it is the correct mileage.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a very nice M-43 to start with. You have most of the major parts. The missing bits and pieces can be picked up when you start to reassemble it.

For now you just need to get into the garage and start disassembling it so you can restore it.

You'll need lots of plastic bags and markers to keep that of nut, bolt, washers and other little parts.

Good Luck with your project!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice Rig. Glad the engine got going... now some brakes and you'll be able to un piss off the neighbors.

As far as your markings... 204th Does come up as a medical Battalion, also as a support Battalion, possible history went either way. I'm guessing the 47 is for a medical group or a BN Higher organization, but I'm not having luck finding anything that's not USAF. Now, that being said, it could be that the USAF 47th medical group, (also as a medical support Squadron) that was originally an Army organization and now isn't.

60Buick

Thanks for the info. The 204th Medical Battalion was were I focused my search. That lead me to the 47th infantry Division and I'm pretty sure that's it. 47 Infantry Division "Viking", 204th Medical Battalion, "D" Company, 42nd vehicle.
The 47th was all Minnesota based and the truck was bought out of Minnesota. They never saw combat as a unit and we're used as a replacements. So my ambulance was likely used for training it's whole life. The 47th was a Guard unit and when federalized in 51 it was moved to Fort Rucker in Alabama until 54. My truck was "born" in May of 53 so assuming it was always in that unit it would have convoyed from Fort Benning GA in 54 spent it's service life in Minneapolis MN, sold as Surplus went 3 hours North to Hibbing Mn, spent 40 years in a barn on a farm, and was trucked right back to Georgia 2 days ago.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck. I agree with flyingvan911. Mechanical is much easier to fix then rust and rot.

dbcolts

Dodge M43 Ambulance

Wow! What a great help ya'all are. It was nice the way that you were able to piece together its history.
Thanks,
David
Rough & Ready DPW
Palm Desert, Ca.

a.jpgaa.jpgbbb.jpgbbbbbbb.jpg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

60Buick

An update on progress. I straightened out the lower grill. It's amazing what a sledgehammer and vise can accomplish when your determined. I drained the radiator and am going to flush the cooling system today. The master cylinder is rebuilt I just have to install it. I also replaced the rubber brake lines on the front axle and rebuilt the front wheel cylinders. When moving on to the rear brakes I found the right side axle was broken. I'm waiting on parts now and will start pulling the rear end down this week. I'm wondering if I didn't severely over pay for this project being that it was supposed to be a driver.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you should feel bad about the purchase. It's better to go thru everything and fix stuff that could be dangerous. Once you are thru the truck, you'll have a really good understanding of everything and you'll know it'll be safe to drive.

60Buick

That's true. I know it's all done right since I'm having to go through it. I shouldn't have to worry about it breaking down on me when I get it road worthy. I want to get it going for the Ga Rally in October since it is so close.

just me

I got mine as a "Steal" running truck mostly complete. I did drive it onto the trailer. It is only about 35% mechanically renovated as yet and I have already more than tripled what I paid for it. That is how old vehicles go. I still laugh whenever someone says they "Have $32K invested" in a $12K truck. That isn't much of an 'investment'! It is always less money in the long game to buy a fully restored truck. But, to me, there is NO fun in that!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One suggestion. Besides carefully marking anything you remove as to what and where, I suggest you take a picture of each item before removed. Many times it takes much longer than you anticipate to get back to something and the visual record is invaluable. After restoring 4 vehicles I speak from experience since I did not do this all the time and it became very frustrating at time. Good luck.

60Buick

I got the brakes done. The pads were fine but I replaced the lines and rebuilt the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. It has a firm pedal now. Yay! The front lower grill is back in place. I tore the rear end down, it had water in it at one time. The fluid was nasty. I just did a clean up, I didnt see any thing that looked terrible. The new axle is in place. I also flushed the cooling system and stained the street a nice rust color.

All that was left was to drive it but it wouldn't start and blew flame back up in the carb. It ran beautifully for an hour yesterday when cleaning out the cooling system. It sounds over like there is no compression. Could the valves have hung open after it ran to operating temp for the first time? That's my guess.

So today comes a compression test and fluid replacement on the transfer case and front diff. And possibly pulling the head.

Some questions about this thing..... It has a rubber seat, its that unusual? Should it have a canvas cover? I also uncovered some 1" yellow stenciling on the hood and rear door. 4G1-5-77. Ideas to its meaning?20160727_191637.jpg20160727_191613.jpg20160725_202717.jpg20160725_202734.jpg20160725_194507.jpg

gerrykan

I bought two Jeep M715's last winter that went through Arkansas Forestry Service(if I remember right) before going to volunteer fire departments that had that type of seat cushion.

I don't know if the U.S. Gov't or AR Forestry installed them before the VFD got them, or if the Gov't supplied them through GSA as replacements.

60Buick

Ok, I thought it looked a little out of place. Mine was with the dept of Conservation in Mn. Might have been installed as a replacement when sold. It reminds me of what you would see in a school bus in the 80's. Head is off. I had 0 compression in all cylinders but one. It takes the valves about 3 seconds to close. Soaking them with PB blaster and carb cleaner. Also going to replace the lines to the oil filter. They are dryrotted. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to put a mile on it.

20160728_175641.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks