• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first MV- m109a3

BadMastard

Thanks to some great advice and information from the site here, I have acquired a M109A3. I'm also going to give a big thank you to Mark Boyce out in Ogden where I picked it up from, took very good care of me and answered my 5000 newbie questions and it only cost me a case of beer. I'll miss that case.

Question: Why might my steering wheel "stick" in the center while driving but spin freely once "off-center". Is there a hidden bushing/adjustment?

BadMastard.

BadMastard

Answered my own question. The reason the steering was "sticky" is because the steering box was completely drained. Much happier now with a quart of gear oil.

BadMastard

Indeed it was. I was bringing it home, or taking it in to work for one of my workers to check out, since he was a former mechanic on them. Now that all the safety gear is working, I will have to finish the registration.

jrobinson5093

My first mv is a m109a3 I love it but i needed a flatbed so a took the box off and made a work shop out if it. it is my only mv right now but i hope to get plenty more and maybe another m109 and leave it be.:beer:

BadMastard

I'm really loving my 109. I sat in the engine compartment wrenching on it yesterday thinking how simple it was to work on. Now I'm playing find all the zerk fittings game.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a great looking M109 there!

Also, I know copying someone is the most sincere form of flattery, but seriously dude, you need to get an original idea for an avatar. :)

BadMastard

Update- WOW! I've got the deuce licensed and insured (Thank you Geico!) so it's been on the road for a few days. She's a runner. Speedo hits 60-62 on the flats so with tire size change that should be 65-67mph. Not really smoking, so running that evil low sulfur stuff really works. Fixed the horn (wire disconnected), solved the sticky steering (yes, the steering box requires SOME lube), finding zerx fittings everywhere and adding graphite/heavy grease.

Dropped some cleaner in the fuel, dropped some slick 50 in the oil, washed the engine a bit, changed the fuel/water filter for a spin on, started sanding and coating to clean up the rust. Pressure washed the Van inside and out- I figured out the dirt was hiding all the mold. Bleach time! Working on a Desert Camo pattern, one can at a time.

Ordered a dyna muffler for our stealth muffler setup (thank you for the 350 posts that told me how), and ordered a nice little pyrometer from Hewitt (thanks Louis at hewitt for setting that up for 24 volt for me, nice guy). Looking forward to a couple of turns on the fuel pump (That should be a sticky, it took forever to find pics!)

All in all, it's absolutely fun. I need to buy bigger wrenches obviously, and lots and lots of bolts for all the loose pieces that rattle at different speeds (I wish the rattles had better rhythm, it's like attending a 3rd grade band practice.)

Now, for some questions, if anyone can answer-

1. Do they make a lighter weight ladder. My girl is mighty, but that ladder is a stretch to move.

2. I've changed all the fluids- is there any other maintenance anyone recommends?

3. What's the most common problems I'm going to face? What spare parts should I keep on board?

4. Do they have a filter on the air compressor? Or make an external one?

5. Does anyone ever change the gearing? Or transmission?

As always, thanks to everyone that helps. Even to those that don't, but are funny in their replies. Those of you who take it all serious? why?

BadMastard

BadMastard

Update- New Pyro Meter in and running.-- What I see now...

3-400 degrees at idle
7-900 degrees at 55 mph level road
9-1000 degrees at 55 on 2-3% incline for brief periods.
1100 was the top so far for a couple of seconds under load and uphill. I might have to turn the fuel screw back a little.

Pyrometer from Hewitt, with probe and 7 feet of wire for about $130.

Fuel screw turned 1 1/2 turns.. WOW! what a difference. Now slight slopes don't cause me to slow down, or downshift. Might be a little too much for the truck, going to dial it back 1/2 turn.

Photos- yellow arrow is the lock nut, must be loosened to turn Red arrow nut which is the fuel adjustment. Clockwise is more fuel, counterclockwise is less. Blue arrow is the shaft that you shouldn't let turn. Mine had no "hole" to put an allen wrench or anything to hold it in place, but it was under a cute little cover that got thrown away...

Question- second photo is of my IP with two of the hoses "looped". Is the the bypass to "lock" it into diesel fuel only? Thanks!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks