• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my first oil change

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from the warehouse.. I let the deuce run at idle for 1 hour to get the oil and sludge moving. Then drained the oil, then removed filters. Oil wasnt burnt, no smell of fuel, no metal fragments, so I think Im OK. It's still draining, then I'll put filters on, and oil in tommorrow...

Anything Im missing or forgot to do?

Also, FYI when draining the pan, use a 5 gallon bucket, not a 5 gallon water cooler jug with funnel..... Dont ask me how I know.....

acetomatoco

It is interesting that sometimes 25 quarts will not fit in a 5 gallon bucket... did you drain both sumps?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tip#2...Don't let the cans turn when you install them, they cut the gasket...ask me how I know...and torque the bolts or they will leak...see above. Just curoius, after the change, see how long it takes for oil pressure to come up.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I drained both sumps, rear first. I cleaned the outside of the canisters/base to get the crud off.
I'll make sure not to have the canisters turn, I've seen leakers when they do.

Will report back tommorrow.

Next project... Cooling system...................

Thanks!

jwaller

I changed my oil the other day and all was well even went for a 250 mile drive. got in the truck this am to go to the store and I dumped about 2 gallons in the street before I recognized that I had a huge leak. Somehow the Oring got sucked back into the can after shutdown yesterday. Went to napa today and got a new filter and seal and all seems well. We'll see tomorrow if it leaks again. this time it's parked on dirt so if she leaks again my neighbors wont get he bad end of the deal again.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine will be changed soon, and before I do, I will sample the oil via the convenient oil sampling valve on the oil filter base assy. and send it for analysis. Before changing it I am waiting for the prelube kit and the oil filter adapters kit. No rush, only 1800 miles on the current batch of oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks