• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first post with a question/Hemtt wheels mounting Mich. 14x 20 xl

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey G, while you are here, what is your opinion on reversing the front axle (camber?)shim?
.... besides all the work to flip them around, un-modified - simple: caster angle will change from about +1º/+2º to +10º/+11º...(!) and we have an extremely stable vehicle at the price of excessive front end driveline angle and way to much steering effort!

Instead, I recommend removing just enough material from the lower seat surface (by grinding or milling) to reduce shim angle to 2º, which makes the axle housing tilt approx. 2 1/2º to achieve a final caster of approx. +4º.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/16875-if-you-have-hyd-power-steering-read-2.html#post170010

Attached drawing shows both, stock vs. modified shims.

G.

Attachments

tincan

i would like to see some pics of the rockwells under the rock crawler, i just sold a set to my neighbor, he would appreciate it

Here are some pics of some of my rigs over the years. If he does not know tell him to go to pirate4x4.com there is tons of info on rockwells for rockcrawling

Attachments

russ132

When I mounted 395's on my stock rims I had the same problem. My deuce got REAL squirrelly. Gimpy gave me the same advice about lowering the air pressure. It seems very counter intuitive but he was absolutely correct. I tried running at many different higher pressures before I spoke to him with no success. After talking to Gimpy I lowered my pressure on all four tires to 40 PSI. WOW what an improvement. Everything straightened right out. 100 PSI is way to high! Good luck.

tincan

I aired down the tires to the 40's and it drives alot better for the most part. It is harder to turn now when turing at a ver slow speed. I guess its time to order an air steering kit.