• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My (first?) recovery complete

Nazrat

Well, it's home. What a beast. It's a Kohler turbo-diesel generator bolted to an M103A3. Close to 5,000lbs combined weight. The good news is that it has a 12-lead generator end so it should be reconnectable to 120/240 instead of the 120/208 3-phase that it is setup for now. If nothing else I could part it out and probably break-even. It has a nice block and coolant heater setup, good turbo, injector pump, control system, etc. It is missing one of the side panels, oh well.

The worse part of the recovery was filling the tires. I had a heck of a time getting my clip-on chuck to make a good connection. We must have spent an hour getting the tires from 20psi to 40psi.

Took off and went a few miles down the road. Stopped to do a load check and noticed a bad smell: hand-brakes were still engaged. Oops. It sure did tow better once I released those.

Once the snow clears I'll pull the panels off and take some pictures. It's not moving right now anyway as it's pointed up-hill and in the snow.

-Tad

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to stop and use one of those pay-for-air machines at a filling station to fill some M103A3 tires once. Wait a pain. I can't remember how much I spent, but I'm glad I had a few bucks in change that day! And, it seemed like it took forever, too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks