• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first recovery effort !! Monday 2/10/14... m923a2 battery question !!

auctionaddict

OK, I am going to attempt a stress free recovery of my 923a2 Monday morning !! I am driving it from FT Stewart to Blue Ridge, Ga. (350 miles). The batteries in the truck are dead. I'm not sure which ones it takes, Dry cell ?? (see pics). I have batteries in my m944 but would rather not haul the nasty batteries down there in my wife's trunk !! The GL guy (Doug) says he has some slave cables to jump it off. Should I take a chance that they will work ? If I had to buy some in Ft Stewart, which ones would be a good replacement ?

I am taking tools, diesel conditioner, glad hand, oil, antifreeze, zip ties, etc.. Anything Im missing ??

Thanks Guys!!

If you see me on the side of the highway, Honk as you go by !!

batts.jpg57166151_gl_large_thumb.jpg

chadande

There are most likely 4 6TL wet cells in the pull out drawers (2 in each).
You could hope it starts and that the batteries are discharged but otherwise good, but if they are not you might find yourself in the market for batteries and an alternator.

auctionaddict

Would those be the same as my m944a1 ?

There are most likely 4 6TL wet cells in the pull out drawers (2 in each).
You could hope it starts and that the batteries are discharged but otherwise good, but if they are not you might find yourself in the market for batteries and an alternator.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets see, extremely cold winter and dead batteries. They should be good to go. ;-)

Every truck for GL that I have picked up has had 6TLs. Most have been wet cells, a few have been Hawker AGMs.

Recovery is not the time to "see" if they are good or not. Take some replacements.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Even if the truck slaves off you might not have enough juice coming out of the alternator to provide you with brake lights, etc.

Driving it with dead batteries can kill the alternator.

You can use two batteries but make sure you wire them up right and connect the small wires correctly.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slave it to start and don't shut it off til you get it home. Odds are pretty good that after the first 40 miles it'd be fine. You have a chase vehicle and can go fetch batteries if the need arises.

M923A1

Banned
I took 2 batteries with me, threw them in my truck for a couple days to make sure they had a good charge on them. I also brought a set of post adapters and some short battery cables so i could wire the pair as 24v or whatever. But the truck ended up jumping off the slave and i never needed to mess with the batteries.

My plan was to get it going, and drive to the nearest Autozone or Walmart before shutting it down to give it a little better looking over. And hopefully have any batteries or fluids id need right there. Instead of having to pack {and purchase} a bunch of things id never use. I did bring an empty 5 gallon fuel can, Because they are surpisingly expensive these days. Never used that either.

The things i did end up using were windex, radiator fluid, paper towels {for the windex} and a little hand grease gun. I bought a Glad Hand from Oreilly Auto for 5 bucks and attached my shop air hose to that. I learned the valve stems are kind of hard to get onto with some air fittings, so have the skinniest one you can.

auctionaddict

I made it !! Love the air ride seats !! We slaved it off and drove her home. 350 miles !! The batterys are Hawker AGMs and came back to life ! CTIS even worked ! All tools and a gladhand new in the toolbox ! Also saw this cool MV on a flatbed ! Me and my boys had a blast !! Now I have 2- 5 tons and have only had the fever about a month !! Gotta get help............

9234.jpg9232.jpg9231.jpg923.jpg9235.jpg9233.jpg9236.jpg