• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my first spare tire change

NMC_EXP

If anyone would like to share some advice concerning changing tires, this would be appreciated. Helpful advice would include problems or ways to support the axle, remove lug nuts, and handle heavy wheels.

I'd invest in a bottle jack if I were you and keep it in the truck. Based on the height of the jack, carry wooden blocks to use under the jack to provide reach and to prevent burying the jack in soft ground. The blocks should be 12 to 18" long and thickness as required.

NOTE: When reinstalling the tire/wheel assembly the use of a 3 or 4 foot long pry bar will save you a trip to the chiropracter or back surgeon.
  1. Position the replacement tire/wheel as close to the hub as possible.
  2. Squat down facing the tire with your left hand supporting it at about 11:00 oclock.
  3. With the right hand, slide the pry bar under the tire at the 5:00 oclock position and pick up on the end of the bar, and raise the assembly to hub height.
  4. Push the tire/wheel on the hub and rotate it using the bar and left hand to align studs and wheel holes.
Trying to manhandle one of these into position is likely to result in a blown disc

I worked in a truck stop tire shop for five years. This is the second thing you learn in that trade - that is how not to get hurt. The first thing is how not to get killed.

Regards

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks