• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My "FUN-METER" is pegged out!!

LanceRobson

Well, the ol' fun meter is pegged out way up over the red. I'm having so much fun I can't stand it.

I was able to play hookey for a good chunk of the day. I've got a new-to-me M813A1 that Doghead and my son Chris helped me pick up at Fort Drum a few months ago and although it runs well and it has been to a few parades and on a few road trips I haven't really spent the time on it to get everything up to speed.

I took the windshields out to get new glass in them (both were cracked), cleaned the frames up, primed the formerly rusted parts and dropped them off at the glass joint.

Then I adjusted the parking brake, replaced all the windshield wiper hoses in anticipation of the new windshields. Got all new stainless steel fasteners ordered for the frames, too. Put two brandy new running shoes on the front axle and cleaned the vents on the axles, tranny and TC.

Put a pair of new rear lights on, changed out all the cracked cargo cover bow legs and cross slats, replaced the dinged up bow corners with new ones then drained and refilled the winch gear housings. Freed up and adjusted the drop side braces and lubed all the "oil can points"

Started to clean all the grease zerks and decided to replace them (good Lord there's a bunch of those zerks!) I got about 40% of them done and ran out of zerks.

Freed up the mirrors bolts and adjusted them for my 6'4" body and not he midget height adjustment they had. Freed up the brake bleeders and adjusters in preparation for bleeding the system of old BFS and adjusting the brakes.

Checked the torsion bars and straightened the bent radiator brush guard and replaced the broken hood hold open latch.

Took the inner covers off the doors, wire brushed and lubed the latch and lock mechanisms and window regulators and then hunted down and caulked a leak in the hard top.

Not a bad day at all.

Then I noticed a slow drip under the front of the engine. The truck is usually parked in the shop on a concrete floor and any leaks are easy to spot. Other than one winch drain plug weeping there have been no leaks from this truck.

At first I thought it was a bit of the oil (and water) drained from the winch but, no, it's a foot too far back. The darn water pump is dripping at about a drop every 30-40 seconds with the engine cold. I guess the old girl didn't know how to react to a bit of TLC.

So, lets see.... The rear main seal for the M35A2C came in today and its PTO linkage need adjusted. The singled out M35A2 need the flasher replaced and the new engine stop cable installed. I've got another truck waiting for the XLs piled in the corner. I haven't yet gotten into the brake drums and bearings on the M813A1. Nancy is after me to finish the trim work on one of the buildings. The canoe and kayak trailer has light issues.

I still have work around the farm and have a house to finish building to pay the bills.

If someone could please tell me when we're having fun I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't want to miss it.....:confused:

Still, a bad day of messing with MVs is better than a good day of most other crud.

Thanks for letting me grump for a while.

Lance

PS- it was a GREAT day!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad you are happy! I cannot say how much fun it was when I got my M35, and slowly took care of all the little things it needed over time. Even more so, the build of the communications shelter over a period of 4 years was a labor of love during which time the equipment configuration changed several times.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sounds like you are making progress! It's too darn hot down here in Texas to get very much accomplished. aua Have fun!
Welcome to my world in Alabama.

Some of the meds I take make me suseptable to heat injuries.....I spent 5 hours mowing grass yesterday on my broke dik riding mover and I was whooped when I got through.

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished Lance....dam curve wrecker.....quit putting the bar up so high.rofl

LanceRobson

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished Lance....dam curve wrecker.....quit putting the bar up so high.rofl
Be careful of that heat. I'm outdoors much of the year and decided long ago the cold is often better than hot. You can dress for the cold but can't do much about the heat but "embrace the suck" and drive on.

I've been piling up parts and lubricants for a couple of months now. It was good to get them off the shelf and floor and onto/into the truck. The truck is a '71 with only 10K miles on it and looks to have had pretty good maintenance done on it. Hopefully there won't be too many more surprises.

I did the winch lube the night before and started to pull the windshields and found that I couldn't get the passenger side one open enough to unbolt it. There were about 5 coats of paint shot up into the hinge. I had to take a scraper and a grinder with a wire wheel to it. Just getting that windshield out took about two hours.

In the next few days I'll be checking the diffs, transfer and transmission levels and will likely bite the bullet on the 50 plus quarts to change all the fluid. I've got to get the winch cable out and clean and lube it. There are some broken strands right behind the cleveis which likely happened when the bumper got kinked. I've got to shorten the cable and replace the clevis (I think they are a one time use item?)

I've got a bypass oil filter on the shelf and am debating putting that in or hunting down a used centrifuge. I ordered an coolant filter for it and will likely put a block heater in when I do the water pump. I prefer to go through them pretty well early on.

I'll need the truck in a week or two to get some firewood logs out of the woods so I don't have much choice but to get 'er done. Did I mention that this is a relaxing hobby?

Gee...this is like being back in the Army or the National Guard. Only this time the food is better.

Lance