• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My gauge replacement idea

Jackel44

I wanted to put aftermarket gauges in because:
1. I wanted to add a Pyrometer, Boost, Tach, oil pressure, and coolant temperature gauges
2. I'm constantly fighting those stupid circuit board with the bulbs working than not working.
3. I think the 4 bulbs take up way to much space.
4. The back lighting really sucks
5. Simplify the circuit

I started by getting a replacement gauge cluster and gutted it. I laid out my new gauges on my donor frame. I will use the existing bulb holders for the turn signals, and the 4 that are under the stock gauges. The left group will be my generator 1 and 2. The right side is still undecided. I will add the rest of the lights between the 2 large gauges in the form of surface mounted led lights.

I will next cut out and back side and mold a bezel for the top.

Attachments

Jackel44

Over the lower groups I placed painters tape to keep the resin out. I filled it with foam and shaped it. I laid cloth over the foam with the groups cut out. The second layer I draped over the edges. For the turn signals I cut the green lens to fit and resin over that. I glued the inside fiberglass to the frame and filled in the space from the lower groups. I drilled the gauge holes. I soldered wires to the light holders and built a strain relief piece from removed plastic that I heated up and bent and shaped.
backguage.jpgcloseup.jpgfrontguage.jpg

Last edited: