• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MT My HMMWV insurance odyssey or how I became a miner 23'er

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, my state won't license a humvee for the road. Doing a little research, I found that many people register vehicles in Montana under a company they create. Most, probably 99.999% do this to avoid taxes as Montana has no vehicle tax. I bought my humvee in the state I live and already paid the tax, I'm not trying to duck out of any taxes. I just want to drive it on the road.

So, I formed a LLC in Montana and moved the vehicle over to the LLC's ownership. The LLC has residency. However, the agent I selected operates out of a virtual office. in the same building as another virtual office with thousands of vehicles registered to that address. Not many insurance companies will cover a vehicle registered in one state and garaged in another. And these insurance companies won't (now) cover a vehicle registered to one of these virtual offices.

I need to move my LLC's legal address to somewhere else in the state. Casting about, I decided to stake a mining claim. There are thousands of unclaimed mines in Montana (and most other states probably). The fees are miniscule, less than $100 to stake a claim and less than $50 to maintain it each year (with a small miner waiver). However, you are required to visit the mine to physically place monument markers. These markers will cost me under $100, total. It's about a 9 hour drive for me to get to Montana so I'll be taking a 3 day jaunt to stake my claim & file the paperwork.

I haven't yet staked a claim. I want to do a little research because I like the idea of it and want to find a claim that I will try my hand at. I expect to have a claim in about a month's time, in a placer (surface) mine.

If you're interested, you can check out a site called minecache.com. They have a 7 day free trial on a program that works with Google Earth to show mine claims around the US (including Alaska). You can find additional information through web searches and through the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), you can start here. This is a bare minimum of information to get you started.

I'll be posting a thread about my vehicle licensing odyssey, later, in the HMMWV section.

R80gspd

After calling 25 different insurance agencies I finally found someone to help. Give Nathaniel Ransom a call at 770.510.6032. He owns one and knows the deal and is gotten hundreds of policies for them. Tell him Gunter sent you

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you getting "regular" insurance or collectors insurance on your HMMWV? My buddy is filling out the paperwork to do the same thing with a MT LLC.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you getting "regular" insurance or collectors insurance
Just regular insurance. This won't be a daily driver, but I plan on taking it to pick up lumber/drywall, etc, and go offroad. I want liability and I'm also concerned about theft - someone could easily confuse it with something worth money.

I will try that number on Monday (5/1).

I have found a couple sympathetic insurance agents, but if Nathaniel can do more, well, mores the better. Though, I'm still gonna go panning.

Guyfang

Staff member
I did for 4 days in South Dakota. My Uncle was a mining engineer. But spent most of his life running the Mobile Gas Station in Hill City SD. He had lived all his life in Hill City, and knew where all the mines, and more importantly, the Stamp Mills were. A stamp mill is where ore is pulverized, so the gold can be separated from the ground up ore. Over the years, he and his Uncle, transported ground up ore, by the pick up load, that had been spilled in the Stamp mill area, back to his house. He spread it on all the roads, to fill in pot holes, and used it to make a base for his garage, and even out the back yard. Dirt floor garage. My brother and I wanted to pan gold. So he gave us two old rusty pans, (And real panning, in the old days, the pans were rusted on purpose, because that helped catch the gold in the bottom of the pan better) and told us to start digging in the garage. We laughed! So he took two shovel full of dirt from the floor, and walked down to Gertie creek. And panned. When he was done, there was 3-4 pieces of gold in it! We were snake bit. So for 4 days, we panned like drug addicted fools. What we didn't know was that a stamp mill used steel balls to render the ore. It flattened the gold "dust". Made it easy to see, but was real thin. What we had, was a small bottle of gold flakes, that did not amount to much, (then) at 32 bucks and ounce. At the end, I was frozen, (in summer) from the cold water, and my eyes felt like someone had poured lye in them, from staring at the bottom of that old rusty pan. Today, there is about 100-150 dollars of gold in that bottle. If I just knew what happened to it! Oh, forgot to mention the lower back pain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks